A Broken Promise: Part Fourteen

Hello!

Three years later, I am finally back to this story. :)

A lot has happened in my life that prevented me from writing and thinking about Toni's development. I have changed so much since I first began her tale with Thomas Shelby nearly five years ago.

But I am back and so is Toni.

With a vengeance.

Hope you enjoy. xxA

--

A Broken Promise: Part Fourteen

The curious thing about moments of bliss, is that they always come to a rudely awakened ending point.

When Thomas rose from the bed without any request for me to rise alongside him, I knew that we were no longer worlds away from business. It was always a curious thing how quickly Tommy could be transported from relatively normal conversations about the future and our love back to the world of debauchery. As if a lightswitch was attached to his brain, flipping on to the next ambitious step in his plan.

As he strode over to his clothes with a sense of purpose, I knew that whatever it was, it was something for him to do alone.

It made my teeth clench with irritation. He didn't want me to come along. It was as if the last 24 hours of our conversation in Small Heath, the lovely arrival to Camden Town, and the lighthearted nature of the day didn't even happen.

So much for better communication and better business.

Even knowing the answer, I decided to ask him about his actions, without a hint of the swirling emotions within.

"So where are we headed to?"

Thomas looked at me with a blank face, before continuing his actions. It took him a moment to reply.

"I am going out to attend to some business–"

"Alone, I presume?"

He doesn't fail to catch the bitterness in my voice.

"Yes. You'll stay here. There are men outside at all times. Rest up, go visit your friend at the front desk, whatever you want to do in here. You're safe."

Safe. It was the word again.

"But no leaving?"

Thomas didn't answer, but I knew what he would say.

The unspoken answer further infuriated me. He naturally thought he could lock me up here, using the War with Sabini and my fragility as an excuse.

He tensed, knowing the storm brewing within me. He was prepared for my usual outbursts, but this time, I would not play the part.

Choosing my battles wisely, I nodded my head and plastered a forced smile on my face. Like a good little fiancée.

He stared for a moment, but then nodded and continued along.

As soon as he got dressed, he kissed my head, before heading to the parlor to grab his belongings, which no doubt included his pistol and his hat adorned with a razorblade for whatever fuckery lay ahead of him.

I heard him pause, before calling out his parting words.

"Be good, Antonina. I love you."

Before I could answer, I heard the door close.

In just a few moments, I found myself sitting alone in the bed in London with only my thoughts and irritation growing by the second.

Locked away like an errant child.