A Dying Promise: Part Eighteen

Part Eighteen:

The world felt as if it had stopped as we are collectively processed the gravity of the situation that lay before us. Ada was staring at her legs, as if she was a shell shocked soldier on the front lines who had gained an injury.

"Bloody hell, you do pick your times!"

The words from one of the Shelby brothers' shocked my to my senses and I rushed to Ada to help steady her as she began to sway in the spring air's mist. Soon, we all began to carry Ada to an automobile to take her home for her to give birth to her child. As soon as Ada was in the car with one of the more sober and strong willed Peaky Blinders, I ran to Tommy's car. I climbed into the front seat, as he started the engine. We drove in silence for several minutes, until Tommy broke the silence.

"Have you ever delivered a child, Toni?"

I paused for a moment, before replying. Racking my brain for all of the times that I was in some nursing capacity, I realized that I had never been a part of or witnessed the emergence of life. I had only ever witnessed or participated in the taking of it.

"Toni?"

Tommy's exasperated voice brought me back to the reality of the situation as we sped down the road. I shook my head to shake away my thoughts.

"No, I can't say that I have."

"Don't tell Ada that, she'll be looking to you for guidance."

I nodded, lighting a cigarette as he sped through the streets to the unknown location. My heart was pounding, as I tried to remember all of the times that my mother spoke of mine and my siblings' births. I knew enough about the process. I could not let Ada down. Thinking of Ada, a thought crossed my mind.

"We should probably let Freddie know that his first born is comin' into the world. He might like to be there, Tom."

Tommy nodded, a look of contemplation covering his face.

"Aye, I suppose he would."

"So are you going to allow him to go?"

Tommy took a moment, before replying to my question. As he contemplated as he focused on the road, I studied his features.

"Yes, I will allow a truce until sunset."

I smiled, though my smile was quickly removed from my face when we pulled up to the car holding a laboring Ada. As she exited the vehicle, she grasped her stomach, doubling over in pain. Before Tommy even placed the car into park, I fled the vehicle, running towards Ada.

At the same time, John and his new wife Esme pulled behind the squadron of cars that were parked in front of a building of apartments.

As I was leaning over Ada as we led her into the home, the men began a conversation about John's car, which was the dowry from Esme's parents.

"How's she run?"

"Yeah beautiful. Really smooth."

I would have rolled my eyes at the absurdity of the timing, discussing cars in the midst of Ada's labor, if I hadn't been focused on helping Ada into the home.

As Ada collapsed in the foyer, Esme and I picked her up to carry her into the bedroom.

As Polly came to join us, she told us that Tommy had given the truce to allow Freddie to come be with Ada, as she delivered their first child into the world. In the midst of Ada's pain, a small smile still played upon her lips at the news that Tommy would allow Freddie to freely be with her. I smiled, thinking that I had made a profound impact on this family-my family-in my short time with Thomas Shelby.