Chapter 6, [End of the Day]

[Listen to Lana Del Rey for the best experience]

[Tanjiro POV]

As the school bell finally rang, our shit-talking came to a close. I wasn't exactly proud of myself for that, but I can't resist the temptation when there are so many things to say about her. We exchanged goodbyes, heading off to our respective classes.

In P.E., Muichiro and I swiftly change into the school's designated red shirts and black shorts before settling onto the weathered metal bleachers, awaiting my sister who is also in our P.E class. We engage in casual conversation until our P.E. teacher, Mr. Tomioka, arrives. My history with Mr. Tomioka goes back to middle school when he used to tutor me. Occasionally, if he couldn't make it, he'd send a substitute, Mr. Urokodaki. Being tutored by him was a truly enlightening experience, as he only selected individuals he deemed "gifted." I suppose I'm fortunate enough to fall into that category.

"Alright students, gather at the field. Today we are playing soccer," He mumbles, "Again." With a hint of dissatisfaction.

Our P.E. trio doesn't share the same enthusiasm for soccer as others might, but we still make an effort. Opting to play defense, our strategy is simple: if the offense keeps the ball up the field, we won't have much to do. Occasionally, a ball finds its way toward us, and Nezuko efficiently kicks it back upfield. We stick to our huddle, choosing not to actively participate. I decide against expending my energy on this, and both Muichiro and Nezuko nod in agreement. After school, I have a job to attend to, and on top of that, I need to balance musical commitments—piano, to be precise. Nezuko has cross-country, and Muichiro dedicates his time to non-profit volunteering and baby-sitting.

The period finally concludes without breaking a sweat. Muichiro and I head to the locker room to change back into our regular clothing. Showers are optional, and neither of us feels the need for one, as we still smell fresh.

"So about Inosuke," Muichiro starts.

"Hm?"

"You actually like that wild animal?"

"Muichiro," I can't help but feel shocked about Muichiro's personal attack on Inosuke, "He probably acts that way for a reason."

"What reason? Living in the woods?"

"I'm sure it's not that, something else we aren't thinking of."

I hesitated, not wanting to badmouth my friend, but at the same time, I couldn't help but wonder why Inosuke seemed to lack basic manners.

"Whatever the reason is, you should try to help him get a grasp of his behavior."

Muichiro definitely doesn't beat around the bush. He's always a very direct person.

"I'll try to help but I'm not saying I can guarantee anything."

"It's whatever, just don't let him bother me too much."

"Okay, let's go meet up with Nezuko. She's probably done changing by now."

My day unfolds, with history class concluding and after-school activities emerging. My piano sessions are scheduled for Tuesdays and Thursdays, and work demands my full attention every day except the days earmarked for piano practice. Nezuko engages in cross-country every afternoon, prompting a friendly farewell. I start towards the bakery, acknowledging my father at the counter before immersing himself in the aromatic embrace of the kitchen. The delightful scent of toasted grains, sweetness, and nuts envelops him as he takes in the familiar atmosphere.

"Hello Tanjiro."

"Hello father, the bakery seems quite slow today."

"A slow day in the bakery is to be appreciated, calm days calm the soul."