Taking a Chance

Chapter 11

The sky was clear as the first day of summer vacation began. Hinata and Kairi were in their boat, heading to the small island with the paopu tree. Today was the day they were going to begin building the raft. Looking down at the ocean water, Kairi could faintly see small fish swimming through the colorful coral reef.

Sighing Kairi said, "I am excited to see new worlds, but I am going to miss this place."

Hinata nodded as she rowed the boat, "Yeah, this is a beautiful place. Sometimes I don't understand why Riku wants to leave so badly."

Looking back up at Hinata, Kairi asked, "Do you think we'll ever see the island again?"

Hinata thought about what Kairi said before replying, "I do. This island is your home. No matter what you see or do, you can always come back here."

"You even believe that about your home?" Kairi asked, rubbing her hands together.

"Yes," Hinata simply answered as she looked at the paopu tree in the distance, "I know I'll find it again someday."

The two of them stayed silent the rest of the way until they reached the wooden pier by the island. As Hinata was tethering the boat to one of the wooden poles, Kairi jumped out and headed to Sora who was sleeping on the sand. After Hinata was finished she saw Riku pull his boat up beside her.

Riku smiled when he saw Hinata and jumped out of his boat, "Good morning!" He chimed. He gave Hinata a hug before tying his boat up.

Hinata gave Riku a quizzical look, "You're in an oddly good mood today."

Laughing Riku said, "I don't know what you're talking about. I'm always in a good mood."

"Don't make me laugh!" Hinata scoffed, putting her hands on her hips.

Riku laughed again then grabbed some wood he had piled in his boat. Handing a log up to Hinata he asked, "Yeah, whatever. Would you help me carry some of this stuff?"

Hinata took the log and asked, "So do we know how we are going to make the raft?"

Nodding, Riku grabbed another log and got out of the boat, "Yeah, Sora and I drew up some building plans after you and Kairi headed home last night. I'll show it to you after we bring these logs to the beach."

They walked together off the pier to the sandy beach where Kairi was talking to the now awake Sora. As they approached them, Hinata and Riku overheard them talking about leaving on the raft and exploring other worlds.

"Hey aren't you forgetting about someone?" Riku interrupted them as he got closer, and then nodded towards Hinata "I guess we're the only ones working on the raft." Laughing he threw his log at Sora and walked over to Kairi, "And you're just as lazy as he is."

Kairi giggled and pushed her hair behind her ear, "So you've noticed. Okay we'll finish it together!"

Riku plopped down in the sand next to Sora. And Hinata walked by Kairi, putting the log she was holding onto the sand. Sora looked over at Riku and smiled.

"We wouldn't leave without you Riku!" Sora assured him, "You're the whole reason we're going!"

Putting his hands behind his head Riku leaned back onto the sand, "Well thanks guys. I can't wait till we get out of here."

Sora looked over at Riku with a concerned gaze that Hinata quickly noticed, "You alright Sora?" Hinata asked.

Shaking his head to clear his thoughts Sora explained, "Huh? Oh yeah, just had a really strange dream. It felt so real."