Chapter 13

Elle reclined on the couch, observing the cat peacefully slumbering on her legs. The decision to bring the cat into her life had come easily, yet lingering doubts about its correctness remained. While Elle had longed for a feline companion, the weight of responsibility had always been a source of apprehension. Her unpredictable schedule had frequently tethered her to the lab for extended hours, scrutinizing minuscule samples through the lens of her microscope. Now, however, she found herself entrusted with the care of the tiny, endearing creature.

They had visited the shelter, strolling through the corridors lined with cages, and Elle's heart ached at the sight of numerous cats yearning for a fresh start. While Paula was captivated by the kittens, Elle found herself drawn to the forlorn feline in box number 83. Seated in a corner, the cat, with its vibrant orange fur and striking green eyes, gazed at her with a poignant expression. One of his feet was adorned in white, mirroring the white patch on his chest. The shelter attendant revealed that the cat had languished there for seven months, as potential adopters had been deterred by his three legs. In that instant, Elle resolved to bring him into her life, and so she did.

On their way back, they made a stop at a pet shop and procured all the essentials. Daniel assisted in transporting everything upstairs and assembling the cat tree, which now found itself nestled between the bookshelves on the wall. Despite being informed that it would take days for the cat to acclimate to her, the moment Daniel and Paula departed, he leaped onto her couch and nestled in her lap, defying the expectations and embracing his new home.

As Elle tenderly caressed his head, the cat let out a gentle, comforting purr that filled her with a remarkably soothing sensation. "You deserve a different name," she whispered gently, and the cat met her gaze. With a contented expression, he closed his eyes as Elle affectionately stroked his chin. "I'm unsure of what to name you," she mused, contemplating the ideal name for her new companion.

"Wilfred." Ben's voice caused her to startle. He was standing in her kitchen, gazing at her. "It's a wonderful name, not for humans, and definitely not for me, but it suits the cat," he said, chuckling.

Elle's laughter intertwined with his, creating a sense of comforting familiarity in his presence. Ben then requested her to gather ingredients as he intended to prepare a meal for her. She remained on the couch for a brief period, observing his purposeful and confident movements in her kitchen, which filled the air with the aroma of assorted herbs. Suddenly, Wilfred leaped up and vanished into the bedroom. Elle rose and approached Ben, who was skillfully roasting nuts in a pan with a towel draped over his shoulder – the very same towel she had playfully thrown at him while they were baking cookies.

"Smells delicious," she commented, casually leaning against the countertop. "Where did you pick up your cooking skills?"

"My grandmother was my teacher," Ben replied as he chopped onions. "She had a passion for cooking. I'd spend summers with her in ---, and that's where she imparted all the essential cooking knowledge to me."

Elle's soft laughter underscored the ongoing challenge of uncovering concrete details about Ben's life. During these moments, a fleeting, white noise persisted. Yet, they had grown accustomed to it. It only served to enhance the enigmatic nature of their connection. However, in her kitchen at that precise moment, Elle found herself unconcerned. The only thing that held significance was the time spent with Ben.

Suddenly, he stood before her, locking eyes. Her gaze flickered to his lips, his tongue skimming over them. Elle felt a surge of heat, longing to kiss him in that instant. The desire to touch him nearly overwhelmed her, and as he drew close, his warmth palpable, she had to resist the urge to reach out. For a fleeting moment, her thoughts wandered.