Chapter 28

Elle was sitting in her living room, the phone still cradled in her hand. Paula's voice echoed in her ears as she shared the news of her impending marriage to Daniel, scheduled in just two days. "Sometimes everything falls into place, and I definitely want to appear slim in those wedding snapshots," Paula had chuckled, prompting Elle to assure her that she would make her way over in time.

Shortly after, Elle swiftly secured her flight booking and reached out to her neighbor, explaining the need to return to Boston for a few days for a wedding and requesting her assistance in looking after Wilfred. Despite the two-mile journey to Elle's Farm, the kind neighbor, a woman in her mid-70s, graciously agreed to help without hesitation.

"Alright, Willy." Elle headed into the bedroom. "I have to leave for a few days because Paula is bursting with spontaneity and wants to get married the day after tomorrow," she explained to the cat, who settled on the bed. Retrieving her large red suitcase from the closet, Elle began packing essentials. However, as she sifted through her wardrobe, she realized she lacked a suitable dress for her dearest friend's wedding. While it was to be a simple civil ceremony, Elle hadn't indulged in dressing up for quite some time.

Her fingers roamed across the hangers until a sudden realization struck her. Closing her eyes briefly, Elle reached for the box resting on the top shelf. With care, she brought it to the bed and lifted the lid. Revealed inside was a stunning red evening gown, the exact dress from her dream in Paris. She had set it aside, envisioning wearing it on her first date with Ben.

Realizing there would never be a date at all, Elle tenderly closed the box and nestled it into her suitcase. Addressing her restless cat, she inquired, "What's gotten into you, Willy?" Observing his agitated behavior since morning, as he darted between the front door and the kitchen window. "Are you anticipating a visitor? Perhaps you've encountered a charming cat lady and... oh, never mind," Elle trailed off, amused as Wilfred dashed once more to the front door, scratching at it eagerly.

She trailed after him, her eyes rolling in amusement, yet before she could descend the three steps to the kitchen, the cat whisked past her and leaped onto the green armchair. There, he anxiously pawed at the fabric, casting furtive glances at Elle. "You... You're behaving oddly," she remarked wryly, settling into the chair opposite. "What's troubling you? Are you facing any issues?" She playfully adopted a psychologist's demeanor. "Would you like to discuss it?"

The cat glanced at her, emitted a single snort, then chased to the kitchen window. "Well, I'm kind of disappointed at your lack of engagement in our conversation," Elle called after him, reclining in the armchair. Curious, she delved into online research on whether cats could perceive an impending separation from their owners.

***

Ben hastened back to the car with swift strides, propelled by urgency. Upon awakening in the night, he swiftly gathered his belongings and navigated through the darkness guided by a flashlight's beam. Memories flooded his mind as he retraced his steps, recalling moments like baking cookies with Elle, the paintings adorning her apartment, Jonah, Rebecca, and the moment shared in her bed when Elle's mind wandered, leaving them both naked. Chuckling softly, he shook his head in reminiscence.

Opting for a direct path without detouring through the old quarry, Ben arrived at his car by noon and promptly headed to the airport in Juneau. He swiftly secured a flight to the nearest airport to Dreyfield, Montana. Serendipitously, the plane bound for Seattle was in the boarding phase upon his arrival, allowing Ben to make it on time. Subsequently, his wait in Seattle would be brief, enabling him to board a flight to Missoula just two hours later.

As Ben stood before the cabin, the wave of fear related to flying washed over him, causing him to halt abruptly. The compassionate flight attendant regarded him with understanding as she requested his boarding pass, which Ben passed over with trembling hands. "Fear of flying?" she asked, to which Ben nodded hesitantly. With a reassuring glint in her eye, she quipped, "Don't worry. They're all coming down."