Life Anew

At the beginning of time, there were many gods, from all walks of existence. They spoke amongst themselves and carved out a domain for themselves, something they'd rule over for eternity. The one who first started the world as it is known was Vemys, the god of beginnings, said to be able to conjure anything one could imagine as easily as breathing.

Over a very long time, they began to take their hands away, able to watch and enjoy what they had done, that which they ruled over. Little by little, the world modernized, and some saw very few reasons to stay confined to the heavens, the hells, they other planes. Some chose to take up other matters, where some chose to leave and explore the world from the eyes of a mortal.

Vemys was one of those. Concealing the overwhelming aura of his power, he looked on the people of the world and sought to take the form of one. Feeling a bit greedy, he decided it was within the scope of his power to change his form at will, better to truly experience everything he had wrought.

He rode down from the heavens, willing himself in an undecided direction, trying to influence the choice as little as possible. He had no idea where he might end up, or who he would be when he got there.

Vemys sat up slowly, examining himself. His skin was slightly pale, his hair an unusual dark blue, and eyes that were an intriguing violet. He ran his fingers through his hair, thinking over things. Sweeping it back into a bun, he tied it up, deciding as he looked over himself how he imagined the life this face looked worthy of. With a gesture, his godly robes were replaced with fine, elegant clothes, nothing even a bit out of place, his appearance was nothing short of meticulous and orderly.

Closing his eyes, his hands danced in the air like conducting a symphony with no music, imagining every aspect of his home. Vemys never intended to stay in one guise for too long, but the lines he wrote were captivating, and he desired a fair chance to experience what mortal life could be.

When he finally looked. His surroundings were almost as luxurious and exotically designed as his own home in his domain, though toned down some so it wouldn't stand out in the wrong way. There were details he would need to come up with, of course. He couldn't simply be the first of his line, and with no history, it would make him seem suspicious. Also the question of what to do in the meantime.

Merchants didn't seem to often make this kind of living, and without resorting to anything unethical or illegal by the laws of this place, that left few things.

A business of some sort, something to act as a hub for people, it would attract customers, and provide a useful cover. An inn. Everyone in this world required sleep. Perhaps with a tavern built in. Of course that made sense. Why not get some drinks and then get a room? That could be a believable story. Spending his time outside, he chose a location not far from his mansion, making it look comfortable and inviting, but also interesting and exciting enough to want to investigate.

Using a bit of magic, Vemys created many copies of himself and altered their appearances, to make it easier to run until he could get more staff, and a steady stream of customers. Every copy was a facet of his personality, it would be interesting to explore what parts people liked most.

"Right. I can't just use this name..." he sighed. Thinking about it for a while, he nodded. "Ivris. Ambermoon..."

Mumbling under his breath, he decided that sounded good. With a name chosen, he created a sign: Ambermoon Inn and Tavern."

Realizing he could also use some guests to generate interest, he contacted some other gods that had chosen to come down and explore.

With the major things dealt with, he decided to continue the next day, needing some time to adjust to a needy mortal form, his throat felt dry, his stomach rumbled and he felt like his energy was draining a bit. It took a little bit to realize that for the first time in his entire existence, he was feeling thirst, hunger and tiredness.

Fascinated, he went back into his house, conjuring some food, a small wooden cup to hold water and a soft bed with comfortable bedding spread wide across his designated bedroom. Ivris was pleased with what he accomplished in just a short time, although a normal mortal would have likely taken months, if not longer to achieve as much, and it humbled him a little to think that if he hadn't had so much power, it would have been a much grander feat.

Having already learned so much, the idea to write it all down came to mind, and with a wave, he made a simple leather-bound book and a feather pen, pausing to make note of all he accomplished and the interesting experiences he felt, and the complicated needs this form had that his regular one never did.

The idea of needing to rest or eat to keep going seemed like an oversight, perhaps he had limited them too much, observation would be needed. The Ambermoon inn would serve as a perfect place to watch and learn more about some of his earliest creations.

In the meantime, Ivris closed the book and went to his new kitchen to find something to eat before he'd give resting and perhaps even sleeping a shot. Cooking seemed daunting, so he drank a bit of water and selected a ripe, juicy pear to try, enjoying the sweet and delectable taste of it.

Of course the gods had festivities, and they imbibed, but typically only a removed form of wine, and it wasn't often. This was a new perspective, quite literally enjoying the fruits of his labor. When he finished, he went to his bed, lying down gently. He would attempt his first day of work in the mortal world in the morning.