Chapter Two

Yancy Academy was like all the other boarding schools, only it was for troubled kids. Many of the students there have been in trouble with the law one way or another. Some students were sent there due to having a history of drugs or alcohol. Others were sent there as punishment for crimes they committed. On very rare occasions, some students never deserved to be in a troubled kids' boarding school to begin with. They were either framed for a crime they did not commit or their parents simply placed their child to get them out of their way.

Nyx's good friend Grover Underwood was one of them. Grover, unfortunately, got the short of the stick in life. He was crippled and has been since birth. He was also very scrawny. He cried when he got frustrated. Grover was an easy target for those who did not have anything better to do with their lives. Nancy Bobofit was one of those people. She was a red-headed kleptomaniac girl with freckles who was put in Yancy Academy for stealing a convertible. Bobofit came from a very rich family, so she was able to avoid going to the juvenile detention center on the condition that she went to Yancy Academy instead.

Nyx hated Nancy Bobofit with a passion. If she had her way, Bobofit would be dead before the end of the first semester at Yancy Academy. Unfortunately, Grover managed to convince her otherwise, stating that it would be best if the adults handled it. Grover was naive. He still believes that adults in the school can help you. Yes, they can, if you weren't a delinquent. If you have a track record like Nyx does, then the staff tends to ignore you. Grover did not have much of a track record and he was a cripple, so the teachers are obligated to help him when he needs it. If only to avoid a lawsuit.

Bobofit was going make this field trip a living nightmare and it would not be the good kind of nightmare either. Nyx does not need to have the ability to see the future to know that.

The field trip was going to take place at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, specifically the Greek and Roman section. For the first time in a long time, Nyx was looking forward to having a good time on a field trip. She felt connected to the Roman and Greek culture, especially towards Poseidon and Neptune. The ocean can be dark and mysterious, it is so very ominous but majestic. It is like an enormous  pool of wonder. It draws Nyx to it every time she and her family visits the beach.

"Oof." Grover said, drawing Nyx out of her thoughts. On the top of his head was a piece of peanut butter and ketchup sandwich. Nyx turned from her spot next to the window of the bus, quickly noticing how Bobofit had her lunch bag out and a piece of her sandwich was missing.

"Throwing food now, Bobofit?" Nyx raised an eyebrow. "I believe only toddlers did that. Seems that I was mistaken."

Bobofit went red in the face, she began to open her mouth to speak before Grover interrupted her.

"It's okay!" Grover stated, pulling Nyx to sit back down. "I like peanut butter."

"With ketchup?"

Grover made a face.

Nyx picked the sandwich off of her friend's head and when Bobofit wasn't paying attention, threw it right back at her. She quickly help Grover clean up whatever crumbs were left on his head. Unfortunately, there was little she could do with the peanut butter and ketchup that managed to get in his hair. Perhaps Mr. Brunner will allow them to sneak away for some time to properly get Grover washed up before the tour.

Mr. Brunner was a middle-aged man that was in a motorized wheelchair. Mr. Brunner had a scruffy beard and brown thinning hair. He was the Latin teacher at Yancy Academy and was the only teacher, aside from Ms. Dodds, that Nyx tolerated. Unlike the other teachers at Yancy Academy, Mr. Brunner took the extra time to insure that Nyx is learning what he is teaching in the class. Nyx had both dyslexia and ADHD, which made it hard for her to learn her education. The other teachers at Yancy Academy were too busy with making sure the other students knew their studies well and completely ignored Nyx when she tried to receive help on her assignments.