Chapter 10

✨✨ANNIE WEMBLEY ✨✨

I scribbled down on my notepad, nothing in particular because my thoughts were divided. I wasn't feeling the mood here but I had to be by his side, take in my environment, and possibly record conversations he has with anyone.

This was part of my plans to get back at Jeremy and I was beginning to see no need for it at some point. I felt relieved when he requested I discard the notepad.

The guests only wanted to talk about him, they'd praise, laugh, and drink some wine. It was tedious, I should've found a real date for him instead. But when my eyes fell on Jim from beyond the room I got chills all over. He was standing with his father and some men in a tuxedo. He never wore that, he preferred the traditional style of shirts and shorts, the kind they usually wore to golf tournaments.

I pulled out more hair to shield my face, this was the worst place to have an encounter with Jim.

"Miss Wembley," Jeremy called signaling me to follow behind. I hurried behind him like a puppy.

And the worst happened, from nowhere Jim approached Jeremy right before we got to our seats, I ducked and immediately grabbed a wine glass from a tray nearby. My chest thumped heavily, in need to catch my breath, I headed to the bathroom.

"Are you, his date tonight?" A female voice spoke from behind me, I turned to reveal an elegant lady in a red sequin dress, her hair bundled up and tendrils left to fall. I recalled seeing her with Jeremy a minute ago.

"Uh, yeah. Annie Wembley." I introduced myself.

"Marilyn Mayern, you already know," she replied, assuming everyone should know the sound of her name. I mentally rolled my eyes and went about my business. From my periphery, I saw her apply extra lipstick.

"So are you an actress or a model? What companies do you brand for?"

"Oh I'm not any of that," I quickly dismissed

"Then how did you end up as his date? That's surprising."

"Well, Jeremy doesn't like such women." I divulged to see the horror on her face and it was relieving. I gave her a cocky smile and excused myself.

"Nice meeting you then." I smiled.

When I got back to the garden there was no Jim so I instinctively sat beside Jeremy who hardly glanced at me throughout the event. I watched him pick at every dish presented like he was contemplating on eating. Then I recalled how he never eats breakfast and lunch.
It didn't take a lot to know my boss had a bad eating habit. Beneath the suit and expensive perfume was a man who could drop dead in a minute due to malnutrition. He'd bury himself in his work and forget that he needs food and rest to refuel. They were the basics of good health, how it managed not to show on his face was ridiculous to me but I wasn't fooled like the rest who hadn't seen him up close.

I ate as much as my guilty mind could let me, but I kept an eye out for that man. I had nothing for him yet and I've been ignoring his messages for days.

I saw Marilyn offer Jeremy to have anything he wanted be brought to him but he ignored her and I scoffed dryly. She's been all over him since he walked into the place, not just her. I could feel eyes staring our way and wondered how he was able to keep calm in the eye of the storm. I wasn't used to such attention as a woman. Not even in my high school days, I was never with the clique of girls who got all the attention but this was different.

Every other girl wasn't as bold as Marilyn, she made sure she sat beside him. It might've been planned. I wasn't certain but I knew she had eyes for my boss but he wasn't giving in.