CHAPTER 12

✨✨MARILYN MAYERN✨✨

Being nervous was human nature but it wasn't allowed in my line of work. As an international model, fear, anxiety and timidity were attributes that went against our career. You'd have to curb yourself off of that first before making it to the industry. I did but wasn't sure why I felt nervous as the driver pulled up to the curb.

The name Gardenia inc. was written boldly at the top of the giant building. Today was the official contract signing between I and the company as their brand ambassador. It was the greatest moment of my career, because soon I'd be everywhere in the media, my ratings would go up, bloggers, show promoters and everyone would know who I am. This was all thanks to Danny.

My hair was hot-stretched to perfection and the black glinted under the light. It made my skin paler but sexier. I drew confidence when I set my twenty five grand jimmy choo on the marble, my slender legs in sync as I walked through the entrance.

I threw smiles at everyone, most especially the men in suits who couldn't get their eyes off an idol like me. Inside the elevator, my phone beeped and it was a text from Danny.

"Hate to pretend at work but we're at the top floor see you soon, love."
I snorted at his urge to be romantic with me.

While I walked through the hallway leading to the conference room, I caught sight of a familiar woman in an office at the far end. I didn't think much of it because I was running late for my big event.

Everyone stood with great excitement except him, Jeremy White. He was a man who was hardly impressed. I knew that because of the manner at which he responded to me at the Luncheon. So indifferent and stuck up but I smiled and sat across from him.

"Miss Mayern, you're late for such an important meeting. Is this how you're going to represent my company?"
Jeremy's angry voice spoke. I sat baffled by his tone. My eyes met Danny from where he sat but he seemed to have nothing to say to help.

"I apologize for that, I had a twisted ankle on my way up. It was a little accident but I'm fine." I lied rubbing at my knee for emphasis.

He didn't seem to buy it though "You seem to walk better with a twisted foot then,"

I wanted to hiss but Danny held out a hand at me demanding I calm down. "I apologize for that Mr. CEO, I hope we can all move past this?" I smiled gaily, that was my signature move when things started going south.

He flipped the file before him, probably reading through my resume for the umpteenth time. "You come highly recommended by one of my best men," he gave a quick look at Danny before he continued. "But I would love to see for myself if you're worth the deal, so we're offering a six months deal instead."

"That's too brief!"

"Of course it's a brief moment and anything that happens within that period of time can be taken care of by my team."

"You mean scandal?"

"That too,"

"I've never had a scandal in my entire career."

"Says every artist until he gets his first mega deal."

"I can assure you that they'll be no such thing while working with me, you can add it as a clause in the contract_"

"We already made sure of that," he cut in rudely.

I sat baffled at everything and everyone. If it's in the contract then why the defiance? I wasn't sure how to bargain anymore, I guess I need a manager after all.

"We understand that contracts shouldn't be below one year but our company isn't just any kind of company that can afford to have even the littlest bit of money wasted over a scandal. Our reputation has to be protected." one of the men spoke.

"Then why sign me in the first place?"
Where the words on my lips but I stopped myself.

"I'm sure you've gone through the contract already, it's renewable once we see your progress and ours too."

"I have, shall we sign it then?" I asked, cheering myself up with the knowledge that I've gotten what I wanted and with time, it'll pay off. Besides the profits were worth the six months contract. Even if I work round the clock I'd never have enough money to buy me a nice home and car like the ones offered in the contract. I get to have all these things to myself. I smiled and signed on every necessary part.

My gaze shifted to Jeremy who stood in his elegant form and ordered Danny to bring the necessary documents to his office. He couldn't even wait till we were done here.

After we finished signing everything, we popped a bottle with the rest of the staff around. I took pictures and pleasantries, carefully building my social network with them because I needed to build a good portfolio with the employees and probably have my contract extended.

I immediately tweeted my success, it won't take long before Mercy sees it and comes crying at my door. She'll wish she never resigned.

"I'm so happy for you babe," Danny said from behind me.

I turned to him "Don't call me that here," I warned with clenched teeth. My eyes roaming around to be sure no one else heard him. "We're supposed to be as discreet as ever or else."

He put one of his hands up in surrender "I get it, I was just carried away that's all."

My lips curved in a dubious yet appealing fashion. I caught him staring longingly at my lips. "I'll come see you tonight at our rendezvous. You happy?"

Before Danny could give a response, the glass door opened and a young slender woman with her brown hair draped over her shoulder walked in, I watched in utter shock as she requested for the CEO's files. Then it hit me.

"Excuse me," I interrupted Danny who was blabbering in my ear.

"Who's that woman?"

"Which one? Jeremy's Secretary?"

"Is she?" My head hurt from the realization. Did the CEO prefer his secretary to a poise clean model like me?

"Yeah, Annie is a very hardworking lady and quite excellent at her job."

"Really?" I frowned at him for trying so hard. It already hurts to be turned down because of a mere secretary.

"So you're saying she's indispensable to Jeremy White?"

Danny chuckled dryly. "Nobody is, she's just never been in his bad books, yet."

I nodded calculatingly, then there was definitely no strings between them. She probably just tagged along to fill up the space as his date, he wouldn't dare come alone for fear of being ravished by the singles.

"I have to be home early, you know tomorrow will be hectic for me." I started. "I'm finally getting my own place, a large apartment in the high-end neighborhood, finally!" I gushed.

"I could kiss you now," Danny whispered.

My belly clenched in disgust, I dropped my glass of wine and swung away from him. I could feel his eyes boring holes on me but I cared less. How could he be so classless?