Chapter 14

Alex's P.O.V

I've got her. I've finally got her. Though if looks could kill, I'd be dead for real this time.

"Explain," she demanded as we made eye contact in the rearview mirror.

"Before I do, give me the phone Antoni gave you," I replied. Putting it in my hand, I throw it out the window and take the next exit onto the highway.

"Now explain," she said again.

"I think you should rest a little bit," I replied. "It's been a long day and you aren't exactly in peak health," I added.

"Axle, if you ever want to go back to McDonald's you explain your little butt right now," she said as she turned to Axle.

"I just wanted you to be okay, mommy. And I know from the stories you used to tell me that you loved Mr. Alex," he said, a smirk creeping its way onto my face. "You're hurt, mommy. I'm sorry I went onto your phone but I didn't want you to die. Mr. Alex was the one that told me what to do," he added.

"Axle, everything I do is to ke-,"

"Is to keep me and Mara safe, I know, mommy. But I want to keep you safe too," he said. Kids gonna be a ladies man when he grows up.

"We should turn back. This is too risky. Cade is in town and if Antoni finds out there's no telling what he'll do," she said as tears brimmed in her eyes.

"Hey, hey," I said as I pulled the car over. Getting out, I open the door and take her hands in mine.

"Scarlett, look at me," I said as she looked away. "Scar, please," I said again. Turning to look at me, I could see she was fighting back tears. "I'm not gonna let them hurt you. I need you to trust me," I said. "Can you do that for me?" I asked.

"If he finds us, he'll hurt the kids. He's done it in front of me and if he finds us he-," she began to ramble as her hands shook.

"Look at me, look at me. I need you to breathe with me, okay?" I asked. "In," I said as I inhaled, "and out," I said as I exhaled. "In and out. In and out," I repeated. "Better?" I asked. Nodding her head, I look at Axle and Amara who are staring at me, Axle with a grin on his face.

"Is it okay if your mom sits in the front with me?" I asked.

"No I should stay-," Scarlett began.

"Go, mommy. We'll be okay," Axle replied.

"I-okay," she said as she took a deep breath and wiped her face with her sweater sleeves. "Stay buckled," she said as she looked at them sternly. Closing the door behind her, I take her around to the passenger side of the car and open her door for her. "Thanks," she mumbled under her breath as she got in. Closing the door, I head back around to the driver's side and continue driving.

"Where are we going?" she asked.

"London. I've made some connections there and that's where home is now. I hope that's okay with you," I replied as I looked at her.

"Anywhere away from here is okay," she replied as she looked out the window. A silence falls between us as I notice the kids have fallen asleep, axle holding Amara's hand in his.

"You've raised them well," I said, "Especially Axle. He's going to grow into a fine young man," I added.

"I tried my best with what I had. As long as he doesn't turn out to be anything like his father, I'll be happy," she replied.

"I don't think you'll have to worry about that. What you should worry about is yourself," I replied.

"You don't have kids, Alex. I don't expect you to get it," she replied as a single tear rolled down her cheeks.