Of Greed and Poison

Your pain strengthens me. Your blood drips one drop after another from your body onto the floor.

You no longer can look me in the eyes. Your body is limp, half-dead. Your eyes have dulled, the life is gone from them. Pain has become a part of your daily life.

Your throat is raw from the screams that have once resounded in my ears. No true sound can pass your lips any longer, and you wouldn't want that anyway.

Your lifeblood sustains me. It makes me greedy for more. I have grown plump because of you. You are far sweeter than others I have tasted throughout the years.

I run my nails down my arms, watching the blood bubble there. I am a vessel for your blood; it has swollen me like a balloon.

You will soon feel nothing ever again. You will become a corpse, dead because I have taken your life. Those expressive eyes will become dark with death. Your skin will be as cold as the winter that dwells outside.

Your life may be considered worthless to others, but to me, your life is priceless. Once you die, I will have to find another, one who will not taste as sweet as you. However, you will sustain me for months.

You groan, lips split and bleeding. You know you are fading. It's in the way you sit slumped in the chair with only the straps holding you up.

Most of my victims have looked that way after four days. You kept your head high for nearly nine. Oh, dear, you are stronger than most, and you have made me strong because of it.

Ah, it's starting. The blood is dripping slower, filling the trough less and less. Your eyes are glazing over. Soon there will be nothing left of you.

I consumed you too quickly, but my greed made me eager. You have so little of your life left.

Your skin is paling, and your body struggles to fight the inevitable. Your lips move, nearly bloodless.

Your breaths have become raspy, lungs filling less as your body devotes itself to trying to save your failing heart.

Your head lifts more, and I see your lips move again. The same phrase repeated over and over. I lean closer, hoping to catch the words.

You rasp, but your voice is nearly non-existent. I come even closer, placing my ear against your mouth.

"You will die," you sigh the words. "You will never make it out of your miserable life. You will be lonely. Lonely forever."

Then your breath left you, and your eyes faded into death. Immediately a sharp pain seized my side, and I fell to my knees.

Now I know what you meant. Your blood has poisoned me, and now I am dyin-
¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥
Before you ask, no, this is not a vampire story. It was never meant to be one and never will be one.
I can't seem to write anything happy. Oh, well, I guess I will have to try something different. Maybe the next story will be better.
As always, comment and review.
Abigail