I Guess You Just Don't Love Me Anymore

I was so taken by ash-arts-but-sinful's post on tumblr which mentions P being jealous of the cat and oldworldghost's post on tumblr which contains the idea of him becoming more mischievous and sassy as he becomes human that I just had to write a little something.

As a disclaimer, I haven't finished my first play through yet so this is more of a character study based off of what I've experienced in-game and what I've been seeing on Tumblr instead of like delving heavily into the world building and established story that exists within the game. So hopefully no spoilers and it's very likely that this won't at all line up with the in-game timeline.

Big thanks to Kit beloved for proof reading <3

✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

For as long you had known Pinocchio you had never known him to be a jealous individual, in fact when you'd first met that bleak, overcast morning in Hotel Krat you had been almost unsettled by his uncanny nature.

His features were perfectly human, aside from the metal prosthetic he'd been fitted with. He had freckles and soft hair, a face that looked fashioned from a real person instead of the smiling caricatures Krat's puppets were usually fitted with.

But despite his boyish features, his face barely moved, he nodded along to Sophia as she gave him the task of locating his father, Mr. Geppetto, and tilted his head in question as Lady Antonia explained the concept of lying but his brows didn't so much as pinch, his lips didn't quirk and his eyes looked straight through you as you had wished him safety on his travels.

So watching in real time as he came into his own was something you cherished greatly, you continued to watch him grow and change, become something new. Pinocchio chose to spend a lot of his down time with you, he said he found you interesting, that you had a way of explaining humanity that made sense to him and over the last couple of weeks something had started to shift in him.

No, Pinocchio had never been a jealous individual, for as long as you'd known him.

Until today.

Your morning had started normally, woken up by the cool feeling of P's lips against your forehead, human hand smoothing back your hair. He mumbled something about needing to go out, you tried to convince him to come back to bed, he tried to convince you to get up (he always wins).

P drags you down to the kitchen, you eat and he watches, something that was initially a little awkward but you've come to really look forward to, then you farewell each other at the rear entrance of the hotel.

He holds you close to his chest, resting his lips to your hairline and making you promise to look after yourself and your companions while he's away, you make him promise to be careful though you know he's not always able to, often catching glimpses of Sophia muttering blessings and incantations under her breath in the foyer.

"It's just Ergo hunting today, I'll be more than careful." He whispers, human arm winding around your shoulder. You breathe him in, hands to his chest feeling the odd sensation of his heart, not quite a tick but not quite a beat.

You lean up to kiss against the slant of his jaw, his mechanical pulse jumping in response. He looks down at you, you catch the fondness in his blue eyes without mistake, he captures your lips in his, holding on for a second longer than he knows is necessary (it's not like you mind though).

Lounging against the doorway, watching him walk towards the entrance of Elysion Boulevard, he turns and gives a last longing look over his shoulder before stepping through the wrought iron gates and disappearing from view.