5.5 | ᴛᴀɢ-ᴀʟᴏɴɢ ᴍɪꜱꜱɪᴏɴ

Early chapter! I felt it was better if i released this chapter early, since it's a part of a chapter. It just got too long 😭
I'll still be uploading this Friday.
Please enjoy this chapter‼️

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

The group had finally arrived at their destination. They organized a plan. While Tanjiro and Inosuke looked for the demons, Zenitsu would watch after the twins. Zenitsu's idea. But, after a few hours of searching many caves, nightfall began to 'cave' in on them, forcing the boys to head back to camp.

"Inosuke, could you get us firewood?" Tanjiro asked, smiling. "You don't order Lord Inosuke around!" Inosuke yelled, sitting on the floor. Tanjiro sighed, getting up.

"I understand it's hard, Inosuke. I'll do it!" Tanjiro waved before he walked off into the forest.

"H-Hey! I'll do it! I'm stronger than you!" Inosuke quickly jumped to his feet, running after Tanjiro. Tanjiro walked back, satisfied, sitting down on a log beside Athena.

"Do you normally do that?" She asked him, chuckling.

"No.." Tanjiro looked away while smiling. Athena looked at her sister, cuddling against her.

"You're warm." Athena whispered. Aphrodite chuckled, resting her hand on her stomach as she watched a bug crawl across the dirt ground. Inosuke suddenly made his presence known. He roughly slammed a great amount of firewood onto the floor, the wood knocking against each other.

"Good job, Inosuke!" Aphrodite congratulated him. He huffed, looking away. "I don't need your thanks!" He yelled angrily. His friends chuckled, Tanjiro getting onto his knees to start the fire.

After a few minutes of watching Tanjiro try and start a fire with dry leaves, a small spark ignited. The girls clapped happily, scooting closer.

The spark spread, turning into a large fire. The fire crackled, filling in the silence. The twins held each other closely as they rested their backs against the log, Tanjiro and Zenitsu doing the same. Inosuke sat across them, occasionally shooting glances at any noise he heard in the forest.

"Do you want to tell stories?" Aphrodite suddenly asked. Everyone looked at her.

"Like scary?" Tanjiro asked, excited about the idea. Aphrodite nodded quickly, Athena's eyes lighting up.

"Could I tell the one about Grand-Papa?" Athena said excitedly. Aphrodite nodded quickly. Athena cleared her throat ready to tell the story, pressing her knees close to her chest and holding them tightly.

"When our Grand-Papa was fifteen, he and his friends went to the Catacombs. The Catacombs are bad to go to, especially with no permission. They are an underground cemetery for Paris, all around the city. But, our Grand-Papa went. As they walked through the Catacombs, they were picked off one by one. At some point, Grand-Papa heard his voice calling him. Bruce! Bruce!" Athena began to imitate his voice. They all huddled around the fire as she told the story, listening closely.

"Afraid, our Grand-Papa left his friends. He kept hearing his voice call for him, and he got lost. He was very scared. By miracle, he escaped. But, as he wait for his friends, they did not come back . To this day, when Grand-Papa walks near the... Sewers, he hears his voice calling for him." Chills ran down's spines as everyone she finished the story.

"Did that really happen..?!" Zenitsu cried silently.

"I'm not sure, Grand-Papa has dementia now." Athena shrugged, earning a nod from Aphrodite. Athena leaned her head onto her sister's shoulder, watching the fire crackle.