Chapter 2

Going to a person's house for the first time is pretty much confirmed as the worst experience almost every American teenager will have to go through, right next to standardized testing. I stuck it out, though, and maybe it was because Kylie was slowly proving herself to be a great friend, or maybe it was because I had absolutely nothing better to do on this given Saturday night.

I knocked on the door. In instances similar to this, twenty seconds can feel like twenty minutes. In the time it takes for someone to walk to their front door and open it, a person's mind can come up with ideas ranging from, "did they not hear? should I knock again?" to "they secretly hate you and are hoping you'll just leave, go quickly before someone opens the door."

As I turned around and took a step down, the front door swung open.

"Farrah?" Kylie asked as I turned around.

"I just dropped something."

"Well do you need to pick it up?"

"It's lost forever, I'm over it." I walked past her into the house.

"Well, I'm glad you came." Kylie said. "Let me introduce you to everyone. Or do you want a quick tour first?"

Without waiting for me to answer, she decided on the latter. It was a very nice house, very grand and modern, but everyone's house was grand and modern. The only thing that really seemed to change was the pictures on the wall. Of course, Kylie also came from a fairly wealthy family, so there were plenty of indicators of that. In addition to the guest bedroom, there was a guest nursery. When I inquired about it, Kylie said it was for her younger sibling that her mother miscarried but they decided to just leave it as a guest nursery.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I said. I never really knew why people apologized in situations like this. It's a pretty natural question to ask why a family whose youngest child is 14 has a nursery, and if that brings up bad memories why is it my fault? Get rid of your haunted nursery, problem solved. Actually, multiple problems solved.

"It's okay, that happened over ten years ago." she said, leading me out of the haunted nursery. "Just don't mention it to my mom. She'll probably cry."

The next indicator of Kylie's family's wealth was the giant game room: a pool table, poker table, two different dart boards, and an incredibly large TV with a bunch of gaming systems plugged in were all set up in this room that was probably bigger than my kitchen and living room combined. Kylie also pointed out a closet and the mini fridge next to it-alcohol and board game storage. Rich people were so strange.

I didn't inquire about this room but Kylie explained it to me anyway. Her parents used to have a lot of friends when they were young and rich, so they set up a gaming room that all of their friends could hang out in. Of course, when they got to be middle-aged and rich, they all had children so nobody ever used the room. Now, of course, Kylie and her younger brother used it with their friends.

As Kylie rounded out the tour, she led me into the living room, where the last of the rich indicators stood. But it wasn't even a living room. Sure, there were a few couches, but there wasn't a TV or anything. There was just an entire wall filled with books. Also a grand piano in the middle of the room.

"You play piano?" I asked.

"I quit a long time ago. My mom's really good, though. Whenever my parents have friends over for a fancy party she'll break out her skills to impress everybody."

With that, she led me into a side room off of the living room, which she referred to as the "den." This is where another incredibly large TV was set up, as well as a bunch of people, most of whom I did not know. But I did notice two people missing from the group-Caden and Shannon.