Chapter 4

Tara could barely focus on her activities around the house while she watched for Maggie's return. She regretted not getting a phone number from her new friend. She didn't even know exactly where she lived. When Maggie asked her to drive her home she insisted they stop the car at the spot where they'd met. She insisted her house was just on the other side of the trees and she could use a 'good stretch of the legs'.

Tara watched Maggie disappear into the trees and followed her for a far as she felt comfortable going in unfamiliar surroundings but could see no signs of a house anywhere. She thought of going to town and questioning if anyone could direct her to Maggie's place, but since Maggie said she liked to keep to herself Tara doubted she'd approve.

They'd made no specific schedule or plans for their next meeting. She had no recourse but to wait for her new friend to return.

Working in the garden was one of the best ways to take Tara's mind off her impatient expectation of Maggie. She straightened her back and proudly surveyed her handiwork. Long straight rows of green peeked above the rich dark soil with robust health. Without warning the plants came alive with vibrant light circling the leaves and stalks while darting back and forth. It reminded her of a light show she saw in the city. It was beautiful. Then, as quickly as it started, it stopped. Unruffled, she reached for the garden hose and sprayed the plants with gentle care while Sugar frolicked playfully around the nearby paddock. Her mane and tail flowed freely as she leaped over the newly fallen tree in her paddock and turned to do it again. Tara decided not to remove tree after it crashed to the ground like thunder during the last severe storm since her unusual horse clearly took delight in playing with it.

Sometimes Tara wondered what Sugar's personality would have been like had she remained in the stable with the other horses. She'd heard horses acted more aloof when in a herd. She'd certainly come out of her shell since the move. Dennis claimed the horse was confused about what she was. Tara thought he was probably right.

The mare approached the fence, snorting and stamping her powerful hoofs into the soft earth. Tara turned the hose off, set it down and walked carefully through the rows of vegetables to where Sugar struggled to reach the delicious looking fare on the other side.

"Oh no you don't girl, that's people food!" Tara chuckled as she reached the horse and gave her a big hug.

"What's people's food?" giggled a voice that sounded like it might be coming from a little girl or a very little person.

Tara's head whipped around while she searched for the owner of the voice.

"I'm over here," it said.

She followed the voice to the edge of her garden to the mounds of earth sporting pumpkin plants that were beginning to bloom. Seeing something scurry beneath a thick yellowish-orange pumpkin blossom, she bent down to investigate.

A gasp escaped her lips when she found herself looking at the tiniest little woman she'd ever imagined. A Barbie doll was bigger than this little snit of a thing.

"Size doesn't make the person, you know," spat the little woman.

"I'm sorry," Tara stuttered.

It figured that this creature could hear her thoughts.

"I'm a nature fairy," the little creature explained.

Doing her best to control the urge to run away and call a psychiatrist, Tara asked politely, "Do you have a name?"

"My name is Celia, what's yours?" the fairy asked.

"I'm Tara," she replied.

"It's nice to meet you, Tara," Celia said as she flew up into the air until she was level with Tara's face.