A visitor

I put a cup of coffee on the table for the visitor who was expecting my uncle. He seemed genuinely concerned that my uncle was no longer alive and hadn't asked me what exactly had happened, not that I could tell him anything about it.
The police were still in the dark about who had murdered my uncle and why. The only thing I had so far was the letter and I wasn't ready to read my uncle's last words. "Thank you very much" Elijah thanked him and looked at me as I sat down across from him at the table, I knew what he was probably thinking like many others. I was cool, as if my uncle didn't mean anything to me, that I just carried on as if I hadn't found him. The truth was that I kept going, life went on whether I had lost a family member or not.
"What exactly did they want from my uncle?" I probed and didn't even try to beat around the bush, I had learned from my uncle that it didn't get you anywhere and I wasn't in the mood to deal with strangers.
"I had asked him for help, his expertise on the 15th century," Elijah replied to me, without addressing my obvious mistrust. "Then you're a historian, too?" I asked, and he answered my question in the affirmative.
I knew that my uncle had worked with many other historians who were at home all over the world, but that one of them visited him was news to me. But I hadn't been visiting very often either, so it could be that he had changed his habits.
"They said that your uncle was murdered 6 months ago, do you know why?" he informed after the reason that my uncle had died. "Unfortunately, I can't say anything about that, I don't know why someone would try to kill my uncle, nor do I know why, he was murdered, the police are still in the dark" I answered him, he seemed genuinely interested and also his condolences had sounded sincere, but I had the strong gut feeling that he was hiding something.
What was the reason for his visit?

"What did my uncle want to help you with?" I asked myself about the reason for his visit, I hadn't found anything about a project in the documents. I was still busy cataloguing his books, maybe I could donate some to a school, there were historical foundations that were certainly interested in Uncle Joe's collection. The answer I got was deliberately vague and, strictly speaking, contained no information at all with which I could do anything.
"I'll look for the documents and give them to them," I suggested, because I wanted to gain some time to find out what exactly he wanted with information about the occult rituals here in Mystic Falls, especially since I knew for sure that I hadn't found that in his documents and that it hadn't been his specialty.
"I would prefer to look in person" he insisted on his request that he insisted on looking at the documents himself, made me suspicious, why did he want to look for the documents himself? "I prefer not to let strangers search through my uncle's papers and books," I replied, and I made up my mind that I would turn the library upside down to find out what exactly was going on and why this stranger was so interested in what my uncle might have found out.
"I see," Elijah admitted defeat too quickly for my taste, he handed me his business card with his phone number and then left the house. I was left with even more questions than before.

"What did you have to do with someone like that, Uncle Joe?" I muttered into my non-existent beard as I entered the library, the shelves that reached up to the ceiling were still full of his books, in the languages he had taught her years ago, he had loved talking shop with her in German or Dutch, something that had annoyed his brother, her father, because he had not understood Dutch.
What I didn't understand, however, was the variety of books, many of which were the same edition, only in different languages. What exactly was my uncle looking for? I hadn't found anything on his desk about an ongoing project so far, the visit of Elijah Mikaelson, I had to re-read his name on his business card to be sure I had remembered it correctly, suggested otherwise.
Little did I know that my life would soon turn upside down again, but in a way I never thought possible.