Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Jackie Greenberg sat happily on the edge of the dock with Logan and Emma, swishing her feet in the water and watching the ripples fan out until they dissolved into nothingness.

The slowly setting sun made dancing lights in the sea that were mesmerizing, and made her want to close her eyes and go to sleep. That was unusual, of course, because she was almost always full of endless energy, but it had been a long day. After flying in from California to New York, (and waking up at three in the morning, no less), she had to ride a train up to the edge of Maine, and then they rented a car and drove for about a half an hour, plus a rest stop, all the way to Deavanport. 

But Jackie still had enough go-juice to bike the fairly short distance from her house to Logan's. By the time she'd gotten there, it was only five, and she still had enough time to hang out with Logan and the new Emma as an added bonus. Jackie loved new people. She loved old people too (as in long-known friends), like Logan, but she still did love new people quite a lot. And the elderly as in actual old people. Jackie couldn't leave them out.

Either way, Jackie loved people, especially friends, and so she sighed gleefully as she closed her eyes and rested her head on Logan's shoulder. She could do that without it being awkward because they'd known each other for long enough that they were pretty much siblings.

Logan leaned his head on Jackie's, and then Jackie, not wanting her to feel weird or left out, put her arm around Emma. Emma, who seemed to be a fairly shy person, stiffened at this, but quickly relaxed.

And so they sat there for a moment, Emma feeling rather awkward despite Jackie's efforts, looking out pleasantly at the sunset and swirling their toes in the freezing water.