Chapter 3

Sorry it's so short!

Chapter 3

After goodbying Logan and Jackie and coming back inside her house, Emma sat on the edge of her bed, thinking. What was with this door? And the house? Why was everyone surprised to hear that people were staying in it? And why wouldn't anyone tell her why?

Emma fell back on the bed, sighing. At least Maine wasn't as bad as she thought it would be.

Sitting up on the striped quilt, Emma stared at the door. The last bit of sunshine was making the newer paint glisten. The half-covered swirling symbol seemed to glare back at her, seemingly spinning menacingly like an optical illusion. Looking closer, she saw that it had seven arms branching out and dots patterned around it, three little circles circling close around every swirl.

Emma stepped forward and traced the symbol with her finger, wondering again why it had been painted over.

Laughing softly to herself, Emma murmured, "Maybe the owners of the house simply thought it was tacky,"

But Emma had a feeling that wasn't true.

Still standing in front of the door, Emma ran her fingers through her hair, which felt a bit strange from all the salt water that had whipped into her hair during the ride to pick up Logan's sister and dried there.

Emma sighed. "I need a shower..."

She turned to go back to her bed and open up her suit case, brushing her fingers on the smooth surface of the symbol as she did so.

A sharp feeling pricked Emma's hand, like the undistinguishable hot-cold feeling you get when you run your hand under water of an extreme temperature.

"Hey!" Emma pulled away, rubbing her fingers.

She stared at the door, trying to find the source of the prick.

And then the symbol glowed.

The spirals started swirling, growing bigger and bigger until one reached the doorknob, which sparkled for a minute.

Emma, watched, awed.

And then the door opened.