Chapter 4

Hazelkit looked around, til she spotted her two littermates trying to find a spot to sit and wait for the meeting to start. "Oh, there really are a lot of cats here." Hazelkit yowled to get her littermates attention. The two she-kits turned. "Hazelkit, what are you doing here?" Her littermate, Cottonkit asked as she and Swampkit rushed over to her, settling to down to sit beside her. Fearherstar and Frostflower had perched on the rock, along with the two of the mentors she had never seen before and three other cats: one a patched black-and-orange tom with yellow eyes, another a ragged dark brown tabby tom with scars dotted around his body, and third a pale gray she-cat with white markings and blue eyes. In total, seven cats already sat atop the rock, far more than the four leaders that would be at a Gathering in the living world. Still though, the section at the front of the rock had been left completely undisturbed. No one stepped forward forward to claim it.

"Let this meeting commence!" A deep, booming voice echoed through the clearing, drowning out all of the lingering conversations in an instant. Hazelkit flashed her gaze up towards the noise, emanating from a tall she-cat with a dull splashed fawn-and-white pelt and a dark fawn patch over one of her striking amber eyes. This is who they were waiting for? Hazelkit hadn't seen the she-cat even enter the clearing but every cat, even those on the Great Rock, now had their attention focused on her. All except one.

Featherstar dipped her head, surveying the cats below. "Welcome, everyone, to a new age. Finally, the cats of the Dark Forest can be united as one." A roaring cheer followed, sweeping through the clearing. Hazelkit joined in, with Swampkit and Cottonkit following soon after her. Pride filled her chest. This was where she was meant to be. She was a part of something bigger here, something more important.
"For those of you who've not yet had the pleasure my company," the she-cat continued. "My name is Fawnstar, and I created the Dark Forest. At the time, I expected for it to be my home, and remain that alone forever. That said, I am quite pleased with the development of the past several moons, as well as deeply interested in learning about each and every one of you: the path that drew you here, for those of you who arrived in death, as well as those of you who have chosen to walk with us while you live." Her eyes landed on a gray-and-white tabby she-cat, one of the RiverClan cats Hazelkit hadn' seen before, and a small smile formed on her face. "For some of you, this process has already began. But it shall continue."

"We have a unique chance," Featherstar purred, though even in that a low rumble layered below it. "For the first time in history, all of us are able to meet, speak with one another, help each other, and rise together." Her chest expanded as she finished, until she cast near-pitch-black shadow over the Great Rock. "And work with the living to better ourselves, and enact the changes we wish to see."

Hazelkit found herself nodding along. With so many cats working together, all the strong forgotten warriors helping each other to be more than they were before, they did have the power now to change their lives. Her paws itched with anticipation at the thought. "Fawnstar and I," The pale gray tabby continued, "have decided to lead the charge in untiting us. In addition to training our own apprentices, we seek to expand, connect with more members of the Dark Forest, who have yet to find us, and help new mentors to choose their own apprentices to bring into our world."

"We will expand," Fawnstar agreed. "And soon we will be able to help you face the new threat to the Clans could imagine, not only because of the strength and dexterity granted to us by our nights of rigorous training, but because we will be one, united under one purpose and bound by ties stronger than birthright."
"More than a Clan," Fawnstar cut in just as a second cheer began to bubble up. "We are closer than that, stronger that that. We will protect each other, know each other, love each other in a way that cats of the Clans are never required to do. Dark Forest is a family."
Hazelkit, others, and the rest of the Dark Forest began to cheer.