Chapter Four

The moon shone brightly, and the stars twinkled over the bedraggled boy. He collapsed behind a barrel. But he knew that he needed dry clothes. When the day dawned, some fishermen noticed a young boy approaching them.

    "Excuse me sirs, but do you have a need for a cabin boy"? he asked politely. The men stared at each other. They had never been called 'sir' before.

    "Well, I reckon we could use a young chap like you to run errands," replied one of the men kindly.

    The boy nodded and asked if they had any clothes he could borrow. And luckily, they had a small outfit that just fit him.

    "Thank you, sir," the boy said gratefully.

    A fisherman named Bob spoke up, "Umm son, what's yer' name"? the boy looked up.

    "Just call me Davy."

☆☆☆☆

    At the mansion, Clara's grandmother leaned over the stair rails and called to her granddaughter.

    "Clara dear, would you run down to the docks and see if the fishing boats have come in? I would send Maria but it's her day off."

    "Sure Grandmother." Clara brushed her hair and slipped on her woolen sweater. "Alright, I'm off!"

    Clara skipped to the docks and took a deep breath of the salty, sea air. It smelled like fish, and she loved it! As she swung her basket, a great gust of wind snatched it from her and threw it into the sea!

    "Oh no!" she cried and ran to the edge of the pier.

    As she reached out to grab it, her shoes slipped on the slime that covered the dock. She grabbed at the air, but she was falling!

    Then something grabbed her arm and pulled her back from the edge. She collapsed with relief, her legs shaking. A hand reached out and helped her stand. When she looked up, she saw a boy. He was taller than her but still looked to be around her age. He had black hair, and blue-gray eyes, like the color of the sea before a storm.

☆☆☆☆

    David looked at the girl he had rescued. She had brown hair with glints of gold, and deep, brown eyes. "Are you all right miss?" he asked, "What were you doing so close to the edge?"

    Clara blushed. "Trying to get my basket. I am here to get some fish for my grandmother."

    The boy nodded. "Here is your basket. Come with me. I'll make sure it gets filled." He handed her the damp basket and offered his hand to her.

    Clara giggled nervously as she took it and then gripped his hand. "I guess it would be a shame if I went through all that and didn't bring back any fish."

    The boy grinned. "Let's go," he said and off they went.