nine

After being rather useless in helping Jeno set up your campsite—not for any chivalrous reasons on his part, you were truly just inept at things and did more harm than good when you tried to help—you sat outside the tent with him. The two of you were going to be sharing a tent, which he had asked earlier if that would be okay. You told him it was fine with you.

The blanket previously used for lunch earlier was under the two of you as you sat just outside the tent. The site Jeno had chosen as your campsite was in a rare area where the foliage wasn't too thick, and you could just make out some of the ocean as the sun set. It wasn't the picture-perfect sunset you imagined could be seen from the peak, but it was still pretty.

You continued with your interview questions as you looked out towards the water, scrawling down his answers in the fading light. You couldn't quite see what you were writing, hoping you didn't just make a bunch of illegible scribbles instead of notes. He spoke again of his trip to the Amazon, saying how he'd like to go back again sometime, and maybe have a better look at the pink river dolphins. The way he said it fostered some implications, a thought in your mid that maybe you could go with him if he did go back. That was a nice thought. And impractical one, but it gave you warm fuzzies nonetheless.

"So, why do you think you like exploring so much?" You asked him after hearing so many stories of all the destinations he'd gone to.

"Who doesn't like to travel?"

"What you do... it's not just travelling, it's not just a vacation. You're not booked up in five stars hotels in city centers or doing every tacky tourist thing out there. You get at the heart of where you are, you explore it, you don't just visit it. Why is that?"

"That's a rather deep question," he let out a light chuckle, shifting to face you as he closed his eyes, taking a moment to think. "I guess... like you said, I try to get at the heart of the place, not the surface-level stuff everyone else sees. I've always had a sort of wanderlust in me. When I was about twelve, I damn near gave my mom a heart attack because I got on a train and wanted to see where it went and ended up fifty miles from home. And now, I don't know, I guess the stuff everybody else does doesn't really interest me... the picture that's painted to tourists of a place isn't what it actually is, and I want to find out what is. If that makes sense. Did that make sense?"

You swallowed hard, nodding fervently. "Yeah, it did. I completely understand, yeah."

That's how he saw the world, and it was beautiful. And maybe you could see it like him; maybe you could look past the picture that's painted and what everyone else sees to get at the heart.

Up this high, cold started setting in some time long after the sun had finished setting and darkness was all around you, save for the soft glow of the lantern Jeno had going. The temperature wouldn't drop terribly, but it was cooler than it was during the day, encouraging you to tuck your chilly fingers into the inside of your knees for some warmth.

"I'm sorry," Jeno frowned, standing up and stepping over to the tent. "I forgot to tell you to bring a jacket, didn't I?"

"I'm alright, Jeno," you assured him, but his arm popped back out of the tent holding a couple pieces of clothing.

It was two sweaters, one he offered out to you, the other presumably for himself. You didn't refuse, which maybe you really should have for professionalism's sake. Slipping the hoodie over your head then sticking your arms in, you were immediately swallowed up by it. Sure, Jeno was pretty buff, but you were sure this would be oversized even on him.

You didn't even have to try to pull the sleeves over your hands, sweater paws already there as soon as you'd put it on. Which wasn't ideal if you wanted to keep writing stuff down for the article.

"I would've told you that I'm a human space heater, but I figured this was a little more professional," he said, heavy implications there.

Butterflies fluttered around in your stomach as you took it upon yourself to scoot closer to him until your legs and sides were touching, "This is still professional, just two professionals huddling together for warmth."

"Yeah."

You were trying to convince yourself more than you were him, knowing that you couldn't really fool yourself on this one. But damn, you could pretend you did.

It was pretty soon after he'd gotten sweaters for the two of you that Jeno interjected into your conversation, "So when is the article technically over? When you're done writing it? When your boss okays it? When it's compiled with the other articles in that issue of the journal? When the copies hit the shelves and its uploaded to the website?"

You let out a shallow breath, knowing what he was really asking. When can the two of you date?

The part of you that was saying 'never!' was getting smaller and smaller, and the part of you who just wanted it to be right now was growing bigger and bigger. And yet, for some reason, you were still listening to the little one.

"I don't know, probably when it's officially published. You know, when 'the copies hit the shelves and it's uploaded to the website.'"

"When do you think that will be?"

"The first one is being published in this month's issue. So, depending on how fast I get this one written up and proofed, at the earliest next month."

"And the latest?"

"A couple months. I'm not sure how long Ms. Zhang will want between the two, if she wants to leave the audience in suspense for longer or give them the next part as soon as possible. Probably the first one, if I'm being honest."

"Oh," Jeno's pout that you could see illuminated from the lantern was suddenly split into a wide yawn. "We should go to sleep, we've got the climb back down tomorrow."

You were glad that he had brought it up first. After all, you were pretty tired, but you weren't about to be the one to end the nice time you were having. Nodding, you stood, taking the lantern in your hand as Jeno folded the blanket back up.

Ducking into the tent, you immediately plopped down onto your sleeping bag, giving Jeno as much room as possible to maneuver his limbs around as he zipped the tent up behind him and set his stuff down in the corner. You put the lantern down at your feet, keeping the area illuminated as you climbed into your sleeping bag and started settling in for the night.

With the covers pulled up to your shoulders and Jeno's hoodie bunching around your face in a comfortably warm way, you were pretty content to fall asleep then and there. But the light was still on.

Groaning, you looked down towards your feet, glaring at the lantern you knew you'd have to get un-comfy to turn off. Jeno had a small smile on his face as he sat up, "I'll get it. You ready to turn it off?"

You nodded, your 'yes' muffled by the hoodie.

The last thing you saw before complete darkness was Jeno's soft grin. That was a rather nice image to have in your mind as you drifted off to sleep.