Chapter one

I creeped down the old creaking basement stairs, straight into my father’s lab. I looked around looking at all the blueprints and robot parts. I continue looking around until I come across the oddly human-like robot, August. He had pale skin, jet-black hair and dark eyes. I reached out a hand to touch him. His skin felt strangely real. I touched his hair, it looked and felt real. I turn around to leave before my Father finds out that I was in his lab. Just as I was leaving I heard a raspy voice speak up. “Where are you going..?” I spun around quickly to see August’s eyes open, his cold gaze rested upon me. “I- I-.. Uh.. I’m going back to my room..It's late and i'm not even supposed to be down here so..uh-” I choke the words out, still surprised. I turn back around slowly to leave until the voice speaks again. “Stay..please..” Seeing August’s need for company makes me feel guilty and sad for him. “I- I really can’t-..” I cut myself off. “I guess.. I can stay for.. Just a bit.” I watch his face light up, a smile spread across his face. “What is your name?” he asks with slight anticipation. “I’m Simon.” I smile gently at him “What’s your name?” I ask him curiously. “I don't have a name.” He speaks sounding slightly disappointed. “Would you like to give me one?” He looks up at me hoping I would say yes. “Of course” I smile kindly at him “How about..August..?” I say hoping he’d like it. I watch his face light up and his lips curl up into a genuine smile. “..I..I love it.. Thank you.. Simon.” I smile at him. I look at my phone for the time. It shows 12:58 am. “Shit.. I need to go August..If my dad catches me down here he’ll be pissed at me.” His smile fades and his eyes soften. “P- Please don’t go yet..It’s so lonely down here..stay..please..” he says, his voice breaking. “I’m so sorry August..I- I gotta go..I’ll come see you tomorrow though..” I smile slightly trying to make him feel better. August looks devastated and hurt but he nods gently. I exit the lab and slowly travel up the old stairs to my room. I changed into boxers and a baggy t-shirt. I lay down under my covers and drift off to sleep, not realizing that had accidentally left the lab door unlocked.