Telephone

"Sapphire?" Ruby chuckled, speaking into the paper cup. "Is it working?"
"Yeah, I gotcha." Sapphire nodded. She looked out the window from her room to see Ruby waving at her. She blushed slightly and spoke into the cup.
"Is it working on your end?" She asked, tapping her paper cup.
"Yeah. The only thing is... Is a bird Pokémon gonna fly into the wire?" Ruby said laughing slightly. They both had rooms on the third floor of their houses, and the red wire they strung between the cups was too tall for people to run into.
"I'd like to think they've got enough intelligence ta avoid the thing." Sapphire spoke in her wild accent. Ruby nodded.
"This is really cool though. I didn't know if it was gonna work, actually." He admitted, shrugging.
"So yer sayin' I oughta be glad we used paper cups." Sapphire spoke.
"Yeah, pretty much." Ruby grinned.
"Sapphire! It's time for lunch!" Her mother called from downstairs.
"Aw, mooooom. Can't I have it up here?" Sapphire asked, letting go of the cup for a moment and looking away. It promptly slid away.
"Okay, dear, but at least come get it!" Her mother relented. Sapphire grinned and turned back around, only to see the cup falling. She leaned out the window to catch it, while Ruby raced downstairs to get it, wedging his own cup in his desk. He opened the front door just in time to see Sapphire falling from her window to the ground.
"GWAAAAAAH!" He yelled as he darted forward in an attempt to catch her, only to have her land on his back.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Two days later, both Sapphire and Ruby got out of the hospital, Sapphire had hit her head on the pavement and Ruby broke a rib. After an extremely thorough chewing-out from their parents, Sapphire and Ruby took off towards their rooms. Sapphire was grounded for a week and definitely not allowed to use the telephone cup. Ruby sighed, before thinking of something. Ten minutes and one Pokéball later, he was a proud owner of a Pidgey. He quickly wrote something on a piece of paper, rolled it up, and promptly stuck it on the Pidgey's back. It squawked, and he directed it at Sapphire's house. It flapped over through her open window, landing nimbly next to her.
"What the..." Sapphire blinked and took the paper gently from the Pidgey.
Dear Sapphire,
What's up? Haha. So, I'm very sorry you got grounded, but it's kinda your fault because you fell out of a window and you landed on me. You're welcome, by the way. But look, caught a Pidgey and used it as a letter-sender. That way, even though you can't use the cups, we can still have a fun means of communication! Besides just shouting outside the windows. So we can use my Pidgey okay? Write back soon, haha!
With Love,
Ruby
Sapphire laughed at the silly letter, and thoroughly blushed as she saw the ending.
"With love...?" She whispered, before shaking her head. Smiling, she quickly wrote a letter back. This went on for a while, and since the Pidgey flew directly inside Sapphire's room, her parents weren't against it. Sapphire and Ruby still talk like normal people, and hang out together, but they always love using the same old Pidgey to send letters of love.