Topo

Aurelia had been brought undersea to play with Orm again, as was becoming fairly regular. 

"Aurelia, there is someone we would like you to meet," Aria announced, swimming over to  join the two. 

"Who?" Aurelia asked eagerly. "Another friend?" She turned to Orm.  "You know?"

He quirked a smile.  "Yes I do." 

"No fair!"

"Well now it's your turn." Aria gestured to her side and at first she couldn't see anyone. 

"Are you joking with me?" Aurelia accused. She squinted but her eyes had already adjusted as much as they could.  Aria only smiled. 

But then, the rock beside her moved and came to life, making her jump - it wasn't a rock at all, it was a camouflaged octopus!

The creature had blended in with the rock so well you'd never know! Now, back to its usual colour, it was a bright blue. 

Aurelia laughed. "Who's this?"

"Tactical Observation and Pursuit Operative, but we call him Topo for short. He is genetically engineered intelligence, for infiltration and espionage."

"Cool! He's like a super spy!"

"Yes, he is one of our many forms of security. He also plays several different musical instruments."

Aurelia's face lit up at that. "Cool! Hey Topo! I'm Aurelia-" She reached out and Topo responded with a cheerful gurgle and by reaching out a tentacle and grasping her hand in a shake, making her laugh. "Octopus!"

"He's a cephalopod," Orm said.

"He's an octopus."

"Cephalopod."

"Octopus!"

"Cephalopod!"

"Octopus!"

Topo made a sound like a snort, making Aurelia laugh. "Cool! Hey Topo, what instruments do you play?" Drums, harp and piano were just a few. 

Then, she hung onto one tentacle, Orm another - hey, there were lots to choose from - and Topo started to swim, taking them with him, gurgling all the while. Both children squealed and laughed while Topo spurred onward, eventually stopping and flinging them both through the water in a fit of giggles and bubbles. 

"That was awesome!"  Aurelia hooted as she rolled to a stop. 

"I'm a little dizzy," Orm said, shaking the rush from his head, blond locks bobbing. 

Aurelia swam over to rejoin their new friend and grabbed a tentacle. "Let's do that again!"

(I borrowed the octopus/cephalopod argument from another one of my Orm stories (that's right, there are multiple!) cause I enjoy the banter so much ;)

And guess what's now  available on digital?! ;) That's right, I purchased the The Lost Kingdom! 

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed! :))