Volume 1: Awakening C6

"Y-your Highness?"

The queen smiled.

"I repeat. I will be the one to examine this applicant."

In her hands were the exam papers and notes about a certain protege of a self-proclaimed doctor.

Irene Belserion was discussing with the Dragnof Academy's principal about one of their test examinees. Erza stood behind her, watching her mother convince the head not to send another inspector.

More like demand, really.

"T-this task is too mundane-"

"Are you telling me what I can and can't do?"

The principal of Dragnof Academy was assigned by the royal family, as they funded the entire institution. He was an old archmage, but that was nothing compared to Irene Belserion's status.

"O-of course not! Have a great day your majesty. Allow me to notify the entrance board that a capable mage has been dispatched."

"I can't thank you enough, Archmage. I hope we can keep this matter private."

Erza watched the senior gulp.

And why was her mother smiling so sweetly?

.

.

.

Irene had known that Zeref's little clinic was near the slums, so she had explained to Erza that their destination differed compared to the norm. She specifically instructed Erza not to comment about the circumstances, and to use the opportunity to learn about the capital's less fortunate people.

It was still early in the morning when they arrived, but there was already a line formed in front of the clinic.

Erza blinked as a familiar boy was outside creating clay chairs for the people to sit in. He was waving his hands to contour the shape, and made some comfortable looking earthen furniture.

"Oh my, he's considerate isn't he?"

Irene was already smiling at the small act of kindness for the people waiting outside.

Natsu felt the powerful magic presence and looked up at the two new arrivals. He blinked as he saw through their disguise, recognizing the red-haired genius from yesterday's exam.

What were they doing here?

A few adults clustered around him, asking about Zeref.

"Sorry, the clinic's not open yet! Zere is still eating breakfast inside. But don't worry, we're opening soon!"

That relieved them of worry and they returned to their places in line.

Irene approached the young boy, Erza following behind her. The both of them were already impressed with his intermediate magic ability.

"As expected of Zeref's brother. You're quite good." Irene commented once they were within hearing range.

Natsu blinked. "You know my brother?"

"Passing acquaintances." The queen waved her hand. "May we meet with him?"

Erza watched the boy eye her and her mother suspiciously.

"Am I in trouble for copying her spell yesterday?"

Copying?

Erza blinked.

"You're not in trouble, young man. In fact, it was impressive you learned the spell after just seeing it once." Irene knelt down to face Natsu at eye level. "Could you show us the spell?"