Chapter 4: Explanation

" How did you know my name?" Hijikata asked him nervously. He sat there for a while trying to think of when and how Gintoki managed to know his full name when he's only introduced himself as Hijikata. "Did he somehow peek in my wallet?" Hijikata then rushes to get up to check his wallet which contains some important information. "What the hell am I doing here when I should keep searching?" Hijikata curses himself. Just as he was about to step out of the room, a strong pair of arms pulled him back harshly causing them to fall onto the floor. 

"Gintoki," Hijikata calls out but Gintoki just keeps on hugging him from behind without the intention of letting him go. "Please. Do not leave me anymore. Please, I beg you." Hijikata's back was a little bit soaked by Gintoki's unexpected tears. With a harsh pull, Hijikata manages to pull himself out of the strong embrace and quickly pull the half-asleep Gintoki into a tight hug. "It's okay. I'm not leaving you." Hijikata gently caresses his head and his other hand rubs the back of Gintoki's neck. Slowly, Gintoki went back to sleep in Hijikata's warm embrace. "I'm happy... that we met again... Hijikata." 

Hijikata finally managed to lay Gintoki properly on the bed when the latter suddenly awoke. "Hijikata...?" "Oh, you awake?" Hijikata asked, trying to ease the confusion he had of Gintoki just a few minutes ago. "What are you doing?" Hijikata with an unamused expression on his face answers Gintoki, "Somehow someone was sleepwalking and I had to be the one to send him back here." Gintoki confusedly asks again, "Sleepwalking? I never did that before." 

Was it really on purpose or an instinct? Hijikata thought to himself. He really couldn't get what Gintoki had done out of his mind but right now he has more problems to settle. "Sleep more. I'll be downstair again." Gintoki again pulled Hijikata's arm. "What were you doing here before?" "Ah, I was just trying to borrow your charger until I noticed that you were having a nightmare." Gintoki gulps while desperately looking at Hijikata, "Was it bad?" " You were shaking," Hijikata stated.

Seeing that Gintoki went silent after that, Hijikata then threw a question that Gintoki wasn't ready to answer. "I'm going to be blunt. Have we met before, Sakata-kun?" Gintoki without hesitation shakes his head. "No, why?" "Then, while I was asleep earlier, did you touch my belongings? My wallet perhaps?" "Hijikata-kun, I don't know what are you trying to get but no. I didn't touch any of your belongings. Why are you-" Hijikata cuts him off with the question he has been wanting to ask, "Then how did you know my name?" "What?"

"You were calling out for me earlier in your sleep." Gintoki's eyes widen. He didn't think that his dream would affect him that badly. "You were calling my first name that I never revealed to you. It's Toshiro. You were calling me Toshi." Gintoki gulps in nervousness. He was debating whether to tell Hijikata about his weird dream and the male's similarity with Hijikata but he might get marked as insane. "Whatever it is. Just tell me. I will be the judge of your explanation." 

Gintoki knows that he has no choice but to speak the truth, " Hijikata-kun, please don't be weirded out but I have dreamed about you before or the person that is similar to you. " Hijikata questions him again, "How are you so sure that it was me?" " I don't know myself. I just felt the connection before, I was still... I don't know." Hijikata just nodded and let him continue. "So basically we were in the past, you with your police uniform while I was a normal citizen. We were walking around patrolling until we were attacked by a mysterious creature which then caused us to lose our lives. I remembered the feelings of how sad I was when you died right in front of me yet I didn't do anything. I always cried every time I woke up from that dream."  

"If you were a citizen then why were you following me?" "Hijikata-kun, we were lovers." Hijikata lost his chance to talk when he heard those sentences. "We were fighting and were about to break up a few minutes before you died and I didn't get the chance to explain myself. I guess my past feelings are still lingering on me because of that. It was a mere coincidence that we bumped into each other today. I was surprised to see you before. I thought I was still dreaming of the same person."