Chapter Eight

Aanvik revealed his exhausted eyes and led them out of the window, responding to the monotonous, unsettling wails of his calm soul. He looked away at once as he saw the morning sun that was glowing rather blithely, wishing for a sudden invasion of dark clouds. To him, it would be nothing less than a cruel disparagement of its brilliant yet scornful rays—a flawless retribution for its paucity of sympathy. He was cognizant of the fact that his thoughts were forsaken by rationality. His eyes moved to a gloomy Shranav, who sat numbly on the bed. His bizarre silence was growing unbearable. Despite being brought back to the team hotel, his mind was clearly lost in the quest for his friend.

The suffocating quietness was dismissed by a sudden knock on the door. Aanvik was the one to answer it. His eyebrows went up for a second as he laid his eyes on the little surprise that was awaiting him on the other side.

"Waseef! Wasn't expecting you at this time, buddy," said Aanvik as he pulled his friend in and locked the door. "Glad that you showed up, though."

Waseef stood still.

"Oh boy," he continued with a frown sticking to his face as he gently held his shoulders. "Look at yourself. Seems like you haven't eaten or slept in years."

"Where is Mayank?" Waseef asked in a faint, cold tone.

Aanvik's jaw dropped. "Am I supposed to know that?"

"Where did he take Fayzan?"

"I wish I knew, Waseef!"

Waseef's eyes moved to Shranav, who was witnessing the exchange in silence, before focusing on Aanvik once again. "Are you sure you don't know where he is?"

Aanvik continued to stare at him for a moment before raising his eyebrows. "You haven't believed a single word of the crap that Roy has written in his stupid blog, have you? Boy, use your sense! If I knew, I would have been the first person to bring him back."

The other captain was too desperate to weigh the words. "But my chipmunk—he is with him, right?"

"I don't know. But I really hope they are together. Safe and sound," replied Aanvik as he looked away from Waseef's glistening eyes.

"So, you both really don't know where they are?"

"You need rest, Waseef."

"You are lying."

Aanvik suppressed an urge to roll his eyes. "Look, kid, we really don't know where they are, and I am not sure what is wrong with you. I'm just as anxious about Mayank as you are. If you all start acting like this now, I'll surely go insane in no time."

Waseef stared at him for a moment before storming out of the room. Aanvik's crestfallen eyes remained stuck on the closed door for a while before moving away to find Shranav.

"When is it going to end? I already had enough!" groaned the captain.

Shranav's mind was, however, conquered by some other thoughts. "Why is he so convinced that you know where they are?"

"He has gone mad." Aanvik sighed.

"He is a pretty composed guy in general, isn't he? I understand that he is stressed, but—I don't know. I feel something unusual is going on."

"What do you mean?"

"There's something about him."

Aanvik shook his head. "Now don't get started like Mayank."

"No, I mean—" Shranav offered a little pause. "Alright. Forget about it."

The captain did not bother to respond. He walked back to the window, only to discover nature chuckling at the brutal rejection of his wish from before. The morning was still bright and clear.