Entry One... Attic Surprises

•Andy's Pov•

"Andrew? Why in all fire blazes would your mama give you a boys name?" My great Aunt Agatha asks to me for the fifth time of us bumping into each other

"I don't know Aunt Agatha. I'll be sure to ask her when I see her." I power walk across the lawn and see a few of my baby cousins running around the yard playing some bizarre game of cops and robbers.

"Andy look! Look!"

"Be careful don't climb that, Mason." I take my little brother down off of the tree but he just takes off running again.

I walk inside of the kitchen to get a soda and notice in a room full of women, no one was talking.

Now I don't know about anyone else's family but I know that when a room full of Devereux women get together you can't get them to shut up.

Then again everyone in my family barely speaks around me.

Like I'm some freak.

I go into the cooler and grab two cans of grape sodas.

I glance up and see cousin Maggie giving me the stink eye.

So I stick my tongue out at her and she huffs but looks away.

"Mom, would you like a soda?"

"No, baby. You just go ahead and have fun. I think your cousin Julia is by the oak tree." I nod and give everyone a polite wave before leaving out.

I pause at the door and hear my cousin speak in a hushed tone.

"Lily, you can't tell me she doesn't look like her."

"Maggie, shut up."

Here we go again with the whispers of how much I look like my Aunt Olivia.

I had asked my mom about her once, but she just always avoid the subject.

It's not much of a secret that my aunt died, so I just don't understand why she won't talk about her.

Actually no ones does.

I walk over to the big oak tree and find Julia sitting there texting on her phone.

"Hey."

"Hey." I sit down next to her and she just keeps texting.

"You know when I walked in the kitchen everyone was quiet."

She looks up at me with a raised brow.

"I wish I had that kind of touch. Every time I go in the kitchen cousin Maggie wants to pinch my cheeks while Aunt Gertrude keeps asking me why I don't have a boyfriend. I'll trade you my face if you give me yours."

"Deal." We both laugh and I hand her can of grape soda.

"Are you staying at Nana's place this summer too?" I ask as I pop the tab open.

"Yeah, my mother wants me to get to know the family roots, whatever the fuck that means."

"So much for sleeping in late this summer."

"You can say that again." We clink cans and I take another sip of soda.

"Hey, wanna hear something crazy?"

"If it's about uncle Paul's reappearing bunion please save me the details." Julia gives me a face and shakes her head.

"No, so I was getting some chips and over heard Uncle Max and Uncle Maddox talking about Aunt Olivia's crazy boyfriend. If I heard correctly after he killed her he went insane and killed like four of his siblings."