Midnight Call

IT was a quarter past midnight in Los Angeles, California, and the three-bedroom house sat in a deep, undisturbed silence

IT was a quarter past midnight in Los Angeles, California, and the three-bedroom house sat in a deep, undisturbed silence. The kind of quiet that only settled in the dead of night, when the world outside had slowed down, and everyone was somewhat asleep.

Currently, though, Chantel stood in her daughter's bedroom, the soft padding of her bare feet almost soundless against the plush carpet—as her silky robe was tied tightly around her waist. It fell gracefully down to her ankles, its smooth fabric cool against her skin, offering little warmth but plenty of comfort.

The space was dimly lit by a small, star-shaped nightlight that sat in the corner near the baby crib—Its soft glow caused a faint shimmering light across the room, sending shadows dancing gently along the walls. Zelina, Chantel's 8-month-old daughter, had finally drifted off to sleep after what had felt like an endless day.

Teething had made the baby fussy, irritable, and downright exhausted, and it had taken hours of rocking, soothing, and singing before she'd finally closed her eyes. Her tiny gums were so swollen and red as new teeth pushed their way through. But now, her little chest rose and fell with the soft, even breaths of deep sleep.

The woman loved Zelina more than life itself, of course, but the exhaustion of motherhood—the long days and even longer nights—had worn her down.

But Chantel being the loving and caring mom she was, never complained. She had been through this before with her son Ermias, who was now 29. The challenges of raising a baby were familiar, and she and her husband, Aziel, welcomed the chance to add another child to their lives.

Their marriage had always been strong, having weathered many challenges and come out even more connected. Their love and respect for each other had only deepened over the years. And deciding to have another child was a big step they didn't take lightly. It had been a long journey to get here. Back when they had Ermias, they were just teenagers—18 and barely finished with high school. Now, things were different.

As fully grown adults with a stable life behind them, the timing felt right. They had their careers, their home, and most importantly, their love for each other and their growing family. Bringing Zelina into the world had been a decision made with full hearts and the assurance that they were ready for everything parenthood would bring.

Chantel felt blessed—fulfilled, even.

But as she gently adjusted the blanket around her sleeping daughter, something pulled at the edges of her thoughts. The physical toll of pregnancy and childbirth had left its mark, and while the sharp aches had faded, a lingering discomfort remained.

She could still feel the changes in her body. Being a plus-size woman had already shaped how she saw herself, but since her pregnancy, she couldn't shake the feeling that her body had only grown larger.

It made her feel a bit insecure at times, but deep down, she knew she was still that girl. Being plus-size never made her feel less beautiful; she loved her full stomach, thick thighs, and especially her phat ass. She had learned to embrace her body and appreciate it for all it was, finding beauty in her curves even when the world often didn't.