Chapter 13: Jax Easton

"You're super fucking distracted, Slash."

"Huh," I answer back to see Carbon standing next to me.

He chuckles laying a hand on my shoulder before turning back to his computer work.

"She really messed with your head, dude."

"How did you find out about her?"

"I didn't. I just knew it was a woman."

I grunt, turning back to the security tapes of the strip club that I'm supposed to be going through for the past two weeks.

"Where's your Old Lady anyway?" I ask, turning the attention away from me.

"Gabby's at home with the dogs and the babies."

They had twin girls, Aurora Banks and Sabrina Riley, about four months ago so Gabby has just decided to stay home for the most part with the babies and their dogs, Taco and Burrito. She comes into headquarters when Carbon wants to spend time with their children (including the dogs) and she needs a break from the chaos that ensues there. 

I think it would be nice having children eventually but their life is pure chaos with twins that cry and shit all the time and two young puppies that all just cry and shit all the time. I could see myself having children and dogs but not at the same time or not growing up at the same time I mean.

"Is she doing okay? Does she need anything?"

"We're good, but thank you, Slash. Back to you though. Who's the girl anyway?"

"A stripper from last night. We spent some time together, took her home, you know. There was a connection I wasn't expecting."

"You wanna do more than hook up with her?" he questions in the most respectful way that Carbon knows how.

He blurts out whatever the hell he wants. Which is both a loveable and annoying characteristic about him.

"Kinda yeah. I'm going with how I feel, but I'm not sure where it's heading. I'm interested in getting to know her more. I'm not expecting anything though."

"Are you seeing her again?"

"Tonight," I answer, glancing at the clock on the top right corner of the computer, "about an hour actually."

"Where are you going?"

"The Puerto Rican place I like and maybe back to my place. Or hers, not sure. Like I said, no expectations."

Carbon nods his head, turning back to his work and no longer asking me any more questions. I guess he's done talking with me. I glance over at Scout who seems perfectly content with pretending he didn't hear a word I said. 

What is with them? It's not normal for Carbon to just shut up. He usually has so many more things to say, to ask. But now he doesn't want to? What's wrong with him? This is my time, and I want to talk about Iris. 

She deserves to be talked about. He can't just blow off my words about her because he's done listening.

"Don't you want to know about her?"

"Is there something you want to tell us?" Carbon grins, turning his attention back to me.

"Oh, I see what you did there. You think I like her a lot because I wanna talk about her."

"Uh, yeah. You usually don't want to say anything about the girls you hook up with," Scout butts in, shrugging.

"But it's more than that, Scout."