Making Plans

Neal was almost done with his 'Degas' to replace the one Richmond had when there was a knock on the door. One of the perks in the aftermath of his relationship with Sara was that Mozzie sometimes remembered to have the courtesy to knock.

"Hey," he said, opening the door.

"We've got a problem." Moz marched past him inside.

"You're right; We should copyright that phrase."

"Keller's back," his friend said, straight to the point. "And he wants our treasure."

"What?!" Was Keller back here in New York City? Now?

"I had the dubious pleasure of getting a compliment for making the 'ruthless choice' of making him a target. Said this is our last chance to cut him in on the treasure. Which I, of course, said I didn't know what he was talking about."

"He's got the entire U.S. government and half the criminal underworld looking for him." The man was either insane or incredibly bold. Probably both. Had he not hated Keller, he would have admired the move.

"Exactly," Moz nodded. "And if he's sticking around, it means he's planning to do something big. So we should split before that happens."

"No!" It was not an option to leave now. Especially not when Peter already was on his trail. "We worry about Keller after our Degas problem is handled. I'm almost done with the forgery. Fourty-eight hours, Moz. Let's make them count."

Mozzie saw the blueprints on the table.

"You've already got a plan."

"We'll have a ten-minute window during the FBI raid to swap the painting."

"I'm sorry," he said, irony dripping. "I assumed you had a good plan."

"With Peter on my back, this is the only way."

Mozzie sighed. He glanced at a wine bottle and took it. Then took a glass, decided that it was too small and went for a beer glass instead. He poured himself a decent amount of wine. Paused and then decided to go for a mega-pint of wine. Moz pulled out a chair and sat down with his glass.

"Okay, then. Proceed."

"All right, this is the layout for Richmond's apartment. He's the penthouse, 43rd floor, accessible by two elevators and the fire stairs. Peter has kept me out of the loop, but I'm sure he wants to keep an eye on me at all times."

"If Peter's planning on taking you up to Richmond's, how is this gonna work?"

"He won't be taking me up. There's a holding room right next to the guard's desk. I'll make sure Peter locks me in there before going up to Richmond's. It's a clear shot from there to the elevators."

"You'll need padded shoes."

"And your elevator-override box."

"Okay," Moz confirmed.

"It'll buy me time to hit Richmond before Peter gets there?" Neal asked.

"That's all it's gonna buy you. They'll be on the stairs. You'll need another way down."

"I know."

"Uh, there is no other way down."

"I know." Neal smiled. That was what made this plan so good. Peter would not believe he made the swap even if he told him how.

"How are we gonna get the copy of the Degas and all the other stuff up to Richmond's in the first place?"

"You're gonna do it."

"How?"

"We're gonna need a bazooka."

"Huh?"

"Richmond's an arms dealer. Go there and offer him a free sample, or something. Just make sure he keeps it."

"Do you think an AT4 recoilless rifle will do? Made by Saab, fielded by U.S. and Swedish forces. Very popular in Afghanistan last summer, I think. I can claim I have two hundred of them. And he gets one to test when he can."

Neal blinked. It was unexpectedly precise.

"Just make sure it's real and that that painting can fit inside."

"How do you think I know what an AT4 is?" Moz asked. "I've got one. It fell of a truck a few years ago."

"You've got a bazooka?"

Mozzie shrugged.

"You never know. "

Peter informed his small group of Diana, Jones, and Kramer.

"This is the layout for Richmond's apartment. He is in the penthouse, 43rd floor, accessible by two elevators and the fire stairs. Inside, Richmond's got a personal arsenal, so we have to tread carefully."

"Take him down quickly so he doesn't have a chance to grab a weapon," Diana nodded.

"Richmond thinks we're there to deal," Peter said. "Diana, you'll ride up with me. Jones, your team has the stairwell."

"Wow. 43 floors. Lucky I do cardio."

"What are you doing with Caffrey?" Diana asked.

"I want to know where he is at all times, so he's coming with me. That's all."

"See you tomorrow, Peter."

Jones and Diana left.

"You're keeping Neal close while you go in for the Degas?" Kramer asked, not looking too pleased.

"I want to watch his expression when he sees the painting in my hand." He wanted to see if he realized what he had just lost. See if he saw any shame or regret in those blue eyes.

"Any chance he goes for the place tonight?"

"No, I've got a team monitoring his tracking data."

"That doesn't mean he's not planning something."

"I'm sure he is."