21-The Nuptials

"In a world that demands you to obey the wrong rules, being rebellious is right.
"-Jenna Galbut

~~~~
New

"You look beautiful, New," P'Gawin told me, squeezing my arms. I chuckled, admiring my reflection in the mirror.

An hour left before my wedding with Tay Tawan. The past month had flown by. As I took a deep breath, I saw servants bustling around the room, assisting me with dressing and food, making me feel like royalty.

Once I changed into my white wedding suit, my father and Aunt Ann entered to see me. "You look like a human now," Aunt Ann remarked, to which I took as a compliment, knowing her limits.

The past few days had been challenging without Earth... I exhaled deeply, lost in thoughts until P'Gawin interrupted.

"Yes?" I responded.

"Are you okay? Is there anything you need?" P'Gawin inquired.

"I'm fine, P'Win. I just need a moment alone," I replied with a forced smile, hoping it appeared genuine.

P'Gawin nodded and said, "I'll be waiting outside if you need me. You still have thirty minutes before you walk down the aisle." As he made his way to the door, he paused just before it, turned back, and remarked, "New, you've become stronger ever since Earth. You're aware of that, aren't you?"

Walk down the aisle.

I nodded as he walked away with a smile. It was time to walk down the aisle, with my soon-to-be husband waiting in the middle of the hall. Time had passed quickly. Originally scheduled for a month ago, the wedding was postponed thanks to Earth and P'Mook. Following Earth's passing, I isolated myself in my room to avoid facing anyone.

When my father urged me to compose myself for the upcoming marriage to Tay in two days, I lost control. This resulted in chaos, causing me to throw things and inadvertently harm P'Gawin in the process. It was a turbulent period for me. Yet, this tumultuous incident prompted P'Mook to persuade my father to delay the wedding by a month. I feigned mental instability and spent a week in the hospital. In hindsight, it now appears somewhat amusing.

The somber moment of confiding in Tay during the funeral ceremony brought a soothing sense of comfort. His embrace enveloped me in a cocoon of reassurance, momentarily alleviating the pain of loss.

However, the hopeful prospect of reconciliation was swiftly shattered by a distressing incident. On the third day of my hospitalization, Tay's unexpected confrontation with Off Jumpol unraveled before me.

Tensions escalated as Tay, in a fit of fury, stormed into the ward and seized me by the throat, vehemently demanding the return of his mother. The irrationality of his plea left me bewildered, as if I were expected to perform miracles and reunite him with his long-lost loved one.

Fortunately, Phuwin's presence by my side proved providential, as he and Off intervened, prying Tay away and admonishing him for his aggressive behavior.

Gasping for air amidst the chaos, I sought refuge in the solace of their protection.

"I want to kill him! Let me go!" Tay shouted. Off and Phuwin struggled with Tay's anger, transforming him into a beast. I remained unaware of his erratic behavior.

What struck me most was the sense of comfort in the midst of pain when he choked me, rendering me breathless. I made no sound, shed no tears, and became numb to the agony. Was depression creeping in? Only God knew.

Perhaps, as P'Gawin suggested, my strength had grown after encountering Earth. It could be the result of the promises made with Earth, instilling a fear of breaking them. If only I had more time with him. If granted a rebirth, I would choose to be with Earth again. He was different, treating me with kindness.