chapter 3- the banquet

After the tree tapping ceramony, the next couple of days were different at school Cheryl hadn't insulted me once at all actually for once she was actually nice to me sitting with me at lunch actually saying hi to me in the hallway, I couldn't believe it. At my last class of the day, I didn't have a class with Cheryl. I sat next to Veronica she looked at me and said, " What's going on with you and cheryl?" I looked at her kinda puzzled and said, " What do u mean?" She looked at me as if I was hiding something." she's been nice to you and only you. " I looked back her explaining that we were just friends, because at the time, that's all we were. Veronica just looked at me, not believing anything I said. Later that evening Jughead had come to the house " what's going on with you and the ice queen" which was a name that other people called cheryl I didn't like it " first off, don't call her that and secondly we are just friends". " Oh, come one, Archie, don't think I haven't noticed how nice you guys have been to each other almost like yall are flirting." " Come one jug, why would a girl as great as cheryl blossom be flirting with me? I mean, come one, I'm just a nobody." " I dont know Archie I'm just saying, I mean first she asks you to be her date to a complete family and inner circle event and then a car to inviting you to a banquet to now being nice I'm just saying it looks odd". " I dont think it's odd at all. I'd do the same for her without question." " See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. You never talked about cheyrl to anyone now. All of a sudden, you're willing to die for her, don't you see how odd that looks?" " Jug,you ate basically my brother but I don't tell you everything and cheryl just so happend to be one of those things I didn't tell you about." " Wow, Archie," he said angerly and slightly disappointed.
The next day, jug head and Veronica weren't the only ones to interrogate me. Betty , Reggie, the whole football team. As I walked down the hallway, I met cheryl at her locker. " Hey cheryl," she jumped in fear. " oh lord ARCHIE!!, don't scare me like that, "she yelled. "Sorry about that," I said, apologizing for what I had done. " it's okay. Just next time, give me a warning, anyway, what is it?"
" Oh nothing, I just wanted to see how you were doing?". " I'm doing the same as I was yesterday and the day before." She said sternly."That's good." " Is there anything important you wanted bc if not, I have a class to get to," she said. " I looked at her confused." Oh ok, sorry to bother you. " I dropped my head as I went on to my next class.. I was so confused that was the first time she had been rude to me since the tree tapping. Did I do something to inset her I wondered. Later, after the next class, I met her once more in the hallway after searching for her. " hey cheryl" I said, walking towards her. " I have been looking for you.. she tuned and looked at me. " Why pray?'' tell have you been searching for moi'. " I wanted to ask if I had said something to upset you." " No, of course not." She said with no affection in her voice, I could tell she was hiding something. " ok," I said, just letting it be. The next day was the day of the banquet. i woke up and got up and got dressed in the suit the blossoms had bought me. I hoped that today would be different with Cheryl. Later, I pulled up to Thornhill. The gates were open as I drove through there, stood cheryl, and I was absolutely jaw dropped at what I saw. One cheryl looked beautiful but it's what she was wearing. I couldn't help it so before she saw me I took a picture I just couldn't help it.

She looked absolutely beautiful, not wearing just red. I pulled up and parked. I got out and walked over to her. " You look beautiful, cheryl," I told her, smiling. " I know," she said, smirking. I was shocked at her answer, but I should've known it was coming. We went inside, where we sat down at a table with all the board members and the blossoms. I saw Betty's sister. And I sat next to her and told her that I needed to speak with her.she nodded.

Mr. Blossom stood up and gave a speech talking about what had happened over the past month and how cheryl was the hand of hope. Cheryl looked at me. You could see she didn't believe a word of it. " Don't think they are being sincere they wanted me to screw up Archie they hate me." I looked at her in shock, but I would later find out the reason. It came time to dance. Betty's sister Pollyanna stood up and asked me to dance where she told me that she had her reasons for being there and that her sister shouldn't worry. I listened but I couldn't help but notice cheryl and her dad arguing then cheryl storming out " excuse me Polly" I said going after cheryl I met cheryl by the pool where I could see it all over her face she was upset. " What's wrong?" She began to explain what had happened. " Jason was the golden boy here and me well, everyone hates me," and that's fine at school, but here that's my family in there. " She said crying " who cares what they think about you just be yourself cheryl and don't you dare change a thing bc I like the real you, the person I seen at the tree tapping and at school that's the person I wanna see". " You're so good Archie it's like you're filled with it, and I need that kind of goodness in my life," she said with a soft, still voice . As she steeped closer and leaned towards me and met her lips with mine. It lasted a couple seconds. I pulled away " what she you doing". I said in fear, and she looked at me in disbelief and shock. I turned away and ran to my car and left.

To be continued..........