Chapter 1- Sept, 9 2006

Desdemona was either going to be famous or starve to death. There was no between.

The line was full of young, attractive LA residents. Bedazzled low rise jeans and sequin tank tops. Chunky highlights and swooped side bangs. 2006, in its glory. A bouncer stood at the door of Smoky Mirrors, behind the red velvet rope. A black van pulled up to the door.

Desdemona Potts stepped out. The paparazzi gathered around to get the winning shot of America's rebel child.

She wore heavy black eyeliner around her dark soulful eyes. Her iconic hair, red highlights on one side, blue highlights on other. Her cargo pants with a studded belt loose and her graphic T-shirt cropped.

Darla Sinclair gets out after her. Her red hair complementing her timeless beauty, in a short red dress and deep red lipstick.

Their elbows touch but they don't hold hands. Desdemona smiles then walks past cameras. They pass the velvet rope.

***

Smoky Mirrors was the hottest club in LA. The decor was white. The music was electronica. And the drinks were expensive. Prefect for the young, rich, and famous.

Shot glasses raised. Drugs passed about.

Desdemona sits on a white leather couch taking pictures and signing napkins. Darla sits on the side. A fan looks at her.

"Hey, can you take a picture of me with Desdemona?"

Darla grunts but then agrees to take her flip phone. The young fan walks up Desdemona and screams. Desdemona kindly greets her and smiles for a few pictures.

Jesse Abrams slips through the line. He holds up a colorful shot glass on one hand, two beers in the other hand. His brown curly hair is long and wearing a pukka shell necklace and a preppy collared polo. He sees Darla's annoyance.

"Enjoying yourself?"

She takes the shot glass and rolls her eyes. He goes and hands Desdemona a beer. She fist bumps him.

***

Silver, gold, platinum albums hang on the walls of Chrysanta Records. Musicians dating back to the 1970's. A portrait of Aaron Abrams, immortalized at 26 in 1985, hangs. Long brown shaggy hair dressed in 80's classic rock glory. Surrounded by four platinum records. Next to him is a gold plaque honoring his most popular song, Rainbows and Waterfalls.

***

Caroline Abrams sits on the other side of the desk playing her pink hair. Heavy black eyeliner around her bright blue eyes. She wears a black babydoll dress with black and white striped leggings.

Ruby Fuller, Chrysanta's head publisher, taps a pen on her desk. She wears a rhinestoned power suit.

"It's not what people are buying. " Ruby said.

"Come on, you won't sell just one of my songs." Caroline huffs. 

"None of our artists showed interest."

Caroline flops her head back.

"Fucking shit."

Ruby straightens her back.

"Rejection is a part of the game."

"Fine," Caroline stands up.

Ruby hands Caroline a CD case. Caroline takes it and walks out.

***

Caroline storms the hall. She stops at the Aaron Abrams display. She kisses her hand and then touches the photo.