Chapter 2- Sept 12, 2006

"A commercial for an energy drink?" She asked Jeff as she picked at the salad he had ordered for her.

"It feels cheap, " she said, tossing the salad with her fork.

"With your recent sales," Jeff said, chopping away at his salad like it was real food, "You need an endorsement deal."

Desdemona put an elbow on the table, "Didn't the Red album still like a million copies? How did I not make money?"

Desdemona still didn't understand the music business. Jeff was the one who looked at all the books.

"Desi, money spreads around. That's why stars do commercials."

Desdemona lowered her arm. He had made a great point.

"I don't know."

"How about you meet with this Executive? There is a cocktail party..."

Desdemona rolled her eyes "Is this one of those things where I have to wear a dress?"

Jeff nodded.

"Fuck."

"Well, I'm sure I can get you a plus one..if you would like to bring someone to make it a little more... fun," Jeff suggested.

Desdemona signed, pushing away the bowl.

"Okay, what about bringing my new songwriter?"

Jeff jerks his head back.

"You found a songwriter, who?"

"Caroline Abrams."

Jeff raises his eyebrows, "Caroline Abrams? Has she ever published anything?"

Desdemona is silent . She shrugs her shoulders.

"The label has a list of published, proven..."

"I know," Desdemona says, "I don't care. I want to work with Caroline."

"Do you have a contract?"

"No..we've just been hanging out..."

"Hanging out?" He smirked. "Are you fucking her?"

"No, it's purely an intellectual connection."

"Please don't lie."

"I'm not lying. We're friends." Desdemona says, "Meet her at least?"

***

While Caroline brushed her teeth that morning, she began singing. A random tune that played in her head .

"Da. Da Da. Do. Ba "

She was in a great mood, she had a date with Desdemona tonight.

Well, not a date per say. But Caroline was jumping up and down excited.

She puts on a turquoise dress. She wants to be pretty for Desdemona.

***

"So I have thought," Caroline told Desdemona as they entered the party.

"And what is that?" Desdemona once again adjusts her black halter top dress.

"Maybe we could go out sometime?" Caroline says, stomping in her black boots.

"Stop twitching." Jeff walked beside her, "You look great."

Caroline looked down then back at Desdemona. She could feel that Jeff didn't like her. Jeff turned around, and waved to a middle aged guy in a black suit.