Chapter 2

Satori rested her chin in her hands, handing a sealed envelope to the raven perched on her desk.

    "Okuu, please deliver this to the Scarlet Devil Mansion. Just drop it off at the gate, or down the chimney if you have to."

    The bird took the letter in her beak and took off, bumping her head on the doorframe before flying out of the study.

    "I hope she can find her way back."    

Satori wearily got up from her seat and shuffled through the halls of The Palace of the Earth Spirits. Her slippers pattered soundlessly against the checkered floor, light from the outside capital filtering through the stained glass. She wandered through a series of corridors until she came across a certain room. Opening the door a crack, she saw a young girl with curly green hair spinning in circles.

    "Koishi?"
    The green-haired girl gasped and vanished from view. Brushing a lavender curl out of her eyes, Satori stepped into the room and saw a black cat sprawled on the floor, befuddled.

    "Orin?" she asked. Satori reached down, taking Rin and cradling it in her arms.

    "Was Koishi spinning you around again?"

    The cat purred and rubbed her face against the fabric of Satori's blouse. She chuckled and scratched it under the chin.

    "Koishi, can you come back here?"
    Slowly, the younger girl reappeared.

    "Satori! Orin asked me to spin her! She stood on her back legs like this—" she hoisted herself on her toes and reached her arms up to the ceiling. "—and meowed at me! She wanted uppies!"

    The purple-haired girl nodded and put her hand on Koishi's shoulder.

    "Shouldn't you be in bed, Koishi?"

    The younger girl crossed her arms and stuck her hip out to the side.

"Shouldn't you?"

    "No, because I'm a grown-up."

    Satori held her hand out to her sister.

    "I'll let you have donuts for breakfast if you go to bed."

    Immediately dropping her faux-crankiness, Koishi's face brightened.

"Okay!" she chirped. Koishi lept into bed, bouncing a few times before settling down. Satori shuffled over, tucking the covers over her.

    "So, what were you doing?" Koishi asked.

    "Well, do you remember when I asked you if you wanted to be friends with the vampire girl at the mansion?"

    "Mhm!"

    "I sent in the letter with an offer, and we'll see if you get accepted."

    "And she'll like me, won't she? I won't scare her away with... this."

    She pointed to her chest, where an orb of blue flesh sat. In the middle of the lump was an eye squeezed shut, matching Satori's red one. Satori's however, was wide open and red, the knot of flesh beating like how a healthy heart would.

    "Oh, Koishi..."

    Satori bent down and stroked her sister's curls, which sprung back up every time she lifted her hand.

    "People would've liked you even before you closed your eye," she said.

    "No they didn't. That's why I closed it."

    Sighing, the older girl pulled her Koishi in a hug.

    And what did it cost? Satori thought.

    Taking a fistful of her sister's sleeve, the green-haired girl smiled.

    "Your clothes are soft."

    "Well, it's good to be comfortable."

    Satori pulled away, placing fallen pillows back on the bed.

    "Tomorrow morning, can I have pudding too? And ice cream?" asked the green-haired girl.

    "I'll think about it. Goodnight, Koishi."

    She leaned down and planted a kiss on her forehead, then headed out the door.

    "Wait, Satori!"

    "Hm?"

    Grinning ear to ear, Koishi made a heart shape with her fingers.

    "Love you!"

    "Aw."

    She turned around and gave her sister a loving smile.

    "I love you too, Koishi."