3

Trigger warning: mentions of self harm.

"I feel like I'm talking to a baby, they don't understand shit."

Same day

       3rd person pov         

Semaj sat on his couch, tracing the scars that covered his forearms and hand

Semaj sat on his couch, tracing the scars that covered his forearms and hand. Some were older than another, each having a story and attachment to his life. The scar on his forehead was one he remembered the once.

It came from his mother.

He remembered the day after his mom put it there, kids started talking about it.
Some even made stories up.

"He got into a fight I heard."

"That nigga momma beat his ass."

"He did that shit to himself."

He started growing insecure and that was one of the reasons why he grew locs. It hid it.

A knock at the door pulled him from his thoughts. He threw his hoodie on to hide the scars and went to open it. There stood his cousin, Jhoi.

"Sup, nigga" He greeted, dapping him up and let himself inside. He dropped the grocery bags he had on the counter.

He was living in a one bedroom apartment that was provided by his social workers after he got out. He didn't have that much furniture. He didn't mind tho, nobody came over to check on him. Except Jhoi.

"Sup," He mumbled, closing the door and walked back over to the couch. He turned on the Playstation and grabbed his controller. He switched to GTA.

"You need to stock up on shit," Jhoi said, looking to the empty fridge. The only thing stored inside was a half cartoon of eggs, leftover Chinese food, and some milk.

Semaj tuned him out, focusing on the people he was rolling over with the wrecked car.  He had gotten out his gun and started shooting people.

Fuck them.

Jhoi plopped next to him, munching on a bag of chips. Crumbs dropped om the couch as he stuffed a handful in his mouth.

He bumped his shoulder against semaj, making semaj side eye him. He hated physical touch. The shit caused too many flashbacks to his childhood, which he wanted to forget.

He scooted over, making jhoi raise his hands.

"My bad. I forgot you hate that physical touch shit," Jhoi apologized.

They sat silent. The only sound was from the TV and the cars that pass every now and then. Semaj liked the silence. It was more peaceful and gave him a type of comfort. Hearing screams and yelling his whole life wasn't something he wanted to hear.

He grew up in a house filled with abuse and violence. Every day, it was something. From the abuse from his mother hands to the bullying and many fights from elementary to middle school, Semaj never caught a break.

"So uh...my pops said you should come down to the community center," Jhoi told him, breaking the silence. Semaj took his attention away from the TV and looked at his cousin.

"For what?" Semaj asked, not even wanting the answer.

Jhoi's father was Semaj's uncle on his mom's side. He had never met him since his mom cut her whole family off all his life. He had just met Jhoi last year during a visitation, and Jhoi introduced himself as his cousin. Ever since then, they had became closer.

"They doin some type of group therapy shit. He wanted you to try it out, " Johi said.

Semaj shook his head. He already had a hard time going to therapy. Why would he want to attend group sessions with random ass kids?

Before he could blow him off the idea, Jhoi held his hand up.

"Just think about it, we ain't forcing you or nun. It would be cool for you to come, tho, " Johi said, just as his phone dinged from a notification.

"Yeah, alr." Semaj said, not wanting to think about.

"Well, I gotta go handle sum. You gon be cool?" Johi stood up and stuffed his phone in his pants.

Semaj looked at his cousin, like really looked at him. His fingers were fidgeting.  The same way his hands used to fidget when he was nervous.

Semaj nodded his head. Not saying anything else when Jhoi dapped him up or when he hurried out the door.

I might change the cover of the book. I'm not really feeling it.

Anyways, did yall like this chapter? I had to add a little sum sum.

Thoughts on the characters?

Hope yall enjoyed!