The runaways.

On a night when the moon gazed down like an evil eye, the young prince appeared in Michikatsu's chamber.

"Boy! Tumble out of bed. I need a manservant."

Michikatsu saw that the prince was wearing a black cloak and carrying a wicker basket the size of a sea chest.

"What are you up to now? Walking in your royal sleep, are you?"

"I'm running away."

The whipping boy sat bolt upright. Hardly a day passed that he didn't make one plan or another to run off--- but a prince? What a horrible new mischief was this?

"You can't hop off like you were a common folk. What's biting you?"

Said the prince, "I'm bored."

"With dumping bullfrogs in the moat so no one got a wink of sleep?"

"Boring."

"And didn't you laugh fit to kill when the knights slipped off their horses and clattered to the ground? You'd hog-greased the saddles."

The prince folded his arms. "Boring."

"And don't you get me thrashed so that my skin feels like the devil ran me over with spikes in his shoes?"

"Let's be off!"

Why me? Michikatsu thought. Can't you find a friend to run off with? But no--- not you, Prince Brat. You've got no friends. That's why me.

Michikatsu pointed to the window. "It's night out," he protested.

"The best time," replied the prince.

"But aren't you afraid of the dark? Everyone knows that! You won't even sleep without a lit candle."

"Lies! Anyway, the moon's up, good and bright. Come on."

Michikatsu stared at him with a dreadful astonishment. "The king'll have a gory-eyed fit!"

"Positively."

"He'll hunt us down. You'll get off light as a feather, but I'll be lucky if they don't whip me to the bone. More likely I'll be hung from the gallows. Scragged for sure!"

"Your lookout," said the prince with a dry grin. "Carry the basket, Michikatsu, and follow me!"