Containing a great deal of shouting.

Michikatsu was struck dumb. Did Muzan have sand for brains? Gosh! Didn't he realize he could snatch up his crown and go free?

"It doesn't please me to take orders from common rascals," Muzan said coldly.

"It would please me to shake the teeth out of your confounded face!" replied Sanemi. "You may live in the castle, but you're only a whipping boy. Do as we say!"

"I'll do what I choose, And I choose not to run your errands."

Michikatsu leaped up and gave the prince an angry flash of eyes. "Muzan gets these stubborn fits," he said "Contrary as a mule! Let me have a word with him."

"I'll whip the mulishness out of him!" exclaimed Genya, lurching forward.

Muzan dodged out of his grasp, and a sour smile crosssed his face. "I'll tear up your vile message the moment I'm gone. And keep the crown for myself!"

Sanemi caught Genya's upraised Arm. "Hold off! There's something in what he says."

"You think he's angling for a share of the reward, Nemi?"

"Likely is."

"The greedy little snipe," Genya bleated. "How much do you recon we can spare?"

"This cals for private words. Let's parley. Follow me."

The moment the outlaws ducked out of the hut. Michikatsu turned on his companion.

"Prince Blockhead! You should wear your crown to fend off woodpeckers."

"Imposter! How dare you insult me!"

"You're enough to give the devil himself fits! Haven't I so muddled their brains they want to turn you loose? And you reward me with a royal squawk!"

Muzan had crossed to the wicker basket and snatched up an uneaten apple tart, and scoffed it down.

"I'll return to the castle when I'm ready. When I choose. And not a moment before!

Michikatsu eyes narrowed sharply. He couldn't fathom what was stirring in the prince's mind. Could he, for once, be concerned for someone other than himself? "It's not me you think you're protecting, is it?"

"You?"

"Knowing they'll knock the daylights out of me soon as they find out I tricked them?"

Muzan shrugged. "You're quick, boy. You'll think of something."

"I've already thought it. Once you're up and gone, I'll slip away. Out in the forest, I'll be harder to catch than a flea."

"But I'm not leaving," said Muzan firmly.

"Gosh! But why? Is it your Father you're afraid of? Is that why you won't go back?:

Muzan scoffed. "He won't miss me."

"'Course he will!"

"Let him wait. And mind your own affairs, whipping boy."

"It is my affair. Do you reckon you're out on a lark? With murderers ourside?"

The murderers shuffled back into the hut. Sanemi fixed Muzan with a smile. "Never let it be sung about that me and Genya aren't generous to a fault, boy. We'll share out ith you a bucketful of gold and jewels!"

"No," said Muzan flatly, as if he'd been offered a bucketful of coal.

"Don't run me out of patience!" warned the huge outlaw.

The prince remained defiant. "I'm staying."

Sanemi ripped off his leather belt. "I'll lash a bit of sense into your head!"

Michikatsu saw that Muzan wasn't going to shift his ground. "You don't need my whipping boy to get into the castle. There's a better way."

"Do say!" exclaimed Genya doubtfully.

"My horse," remarked Michikatsu. "There's your messenger, sirs!"

Sanemi gave a snort. "Faw! That fine beast? We've been afoot since our skin-poor horse turned heels up. We need a mount in our line of work."

"Nitwits!" exclaimed Michikatsu, as if his own princely patience were at an end. "With rings on your fingers and gold in your pockets, you can take to the roads like gentlemen. You'll be traveling about in fine coaches. But first you've got to lay hands on the treasure."

Genya made a sound through his nose like a pitchpipe. "With that horse outside?"

"One of the king's own. A horse can always find his way home, can't it? That fine beast will make for the castle stables, note the crown. No questions asked!"