CHAPTER 35

❛❛ 𝘐𝘵 𝘥𝘰𝘦𝘴𝘯'𝘵 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘐 𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘢𝘭𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘺 𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨. ❞

─────────────────────

THIRD PERSON
ᴘ   ᴏ   ɪ   ɴ   ᴛ    ᴏ   ꜰ    ᴠ   ɪ   ᴇ   ᴡ

Monsters.

This is how one of the surviving soldiers, who can already be considered a veteran on the battlefield because of his ten years' experience, describes the two people who are responsible for the gruesome carnage of his comrades.

The soldier's heart pounded in his chest like a drum of impending doom. His gaze flickered between the monstrous figures and their serene target, whose demeanor amidst the chaos sent shivers down his spine. 

The orange-haired man moved with an otherworldly grace, dispatching his comrades effortlessly. 

Each death seemed almost clinical, the movements too swift for mortal eyes to follow.

Beside him, the woman stood unmoved, her dark brown hair fluttering gently in the breeze that carried the stench of blood and gunpowder. Her white Chinese-style outfit, though stained at the edges with the evidence of battle, remained pristine at its core.

The soldier couldn't comprehend her calmness amidst the slaughter. 

Was she oblivious to the lives lost around her, or did she simply not care?

The soldier's fingers trembled around his gun, slick with sweat and blood. He could feel the weight of his fallen comrades' expectations pressing down on him, urging him to act, to avenge their deaths. His mind raced with conflicting thoughts—fear, anger, and a determination born of desperation. They had trained for this, sacrificed so much, only to be torn apart by beings they couldn't comprehend.

If he goes down, she's coming with them.

"This ends here," he muttered through gritted teeth, his voice barely audible over the chaos. His aim wavered as he struggled to steady his shaking hands. 

The gun felt heavier now, a burden of justice and retribution. 

He couldn't afford to miss. 

Failure was not an option, not after everything they had been through.

With a surge of adrenaline, he tightened his grip and steadied his aim, the fiery determination in his eyes matching the fury in his heart. His finger squeezed the trigger, unleashing a burst of gunfire towards the woman in white. The shots rang out in the cacophony of battle, each echoing like a declaration of defiance against the relentless tide of death.

His eyes widen when the woman doesn't bother to at least make an effort to dodge or move a single muscle while keeping that unbothered expression in her face.

No, even if he didn't hit her, she should be at least aware that a gun has been fired in her direction, so why? Why does she not look sca—

"Don't worry..." Dazai then shifted her empty gaze to the soldier who was fighting for his last few breaths, "you didn't miss your shot."

The soldier's world seemingly stopped as he stared in disbelief. The bullet he had shot was floating just a few inches away from Dazai's temple, as if an invisible force was stopping it from piercing her head and killing her instantly.