1

Today is Friday, August 30, it is 9 PM. The sun is setting over the Colorado mountains and 14 year old Stan Marsh is getting himself ready for bed. Stan, and his 4 friends, Kyle, Eric, Butters, and Kenny, are all going to start their freshman year of high school the following Monday. Stan had just gotten out of the shower and he was getting his pajamas on when his father, Randy,  called him downstairs.

“STAN!” he called up, “Stan! Come to the garage!”

Stan hurriedly threw on a pair of boxers and sweats, then he tossed on a tank top and his hoodie, slid his slippers on, and ran out the door to meet his father in the garage. He opened the garage door swiftly and he hopped in.

“Y-yeah Dad, w-whats up?” He huffed, out of breath from running through the house.

“Stanly, come sit by your old man.” Stan did as he was told and sat next to his father on the workbench. Randy had open a half-empty bottle of whiskey and a jar of weed. “Stanly, this is a new strain of weed. I call it the ‘golden stream’. We’re going to smoke a joint of this Stanly and see what it does to us.”

Stan knew what this meant. When his father called him down to the garage to smoke a joint, it meant Stan was about to listen to his dad talk for hours, but at least he would get high. Stan's father took out some rolling papers and a filter and rolled them a fat joint to share.

“Okay Stan, my boy. Are you ready for this to rock your shit!?” He asked Stan as he lit the joint. “We’re gonna be all fucked up!”

“I'm definitely ready.'' Stan replied as he took a hit off the joint, “Oh, damn. That's good.” He said smiling with his father.

Smoking and drinking are the only two things they get along doing. Other than that, Stan and his father fight and don't get along very well at all. After around 30 minutes of smoking and talking, the joint was finished.  Stan's father stood up and grabbed two orange juices out of the fridge.

“Here.” he said, as he tossed his son the cold bottle of juice, “Drink up. It’ll get rid of the cotton mouth.” He looked at his watch then back up at stan. “It's 9:35. Go brush your teeth and go to sleep. You need to practice for when school starts back up.”

Stan stood up and nodded, “Okay Dad, goodnight,” He slowly walked past his father, up the stairs, and sat down on his bed. He opened the juice and chugged the entire thing before turning off his lamp, shutting his eyes, and falling asleep.