The Game is over

Hello you all. For a change, here's a chapter from the perspective of both of them, since they go their separate ways this morning, but basically experience the same thing 😉 Have fun reading.

--------Penny's point of view-------

It was hard to tear myself away from Sam at 3 a.m. the next morning. On the one hand I didn't want to, but on the other hand it was because he didn't want to let me go. He didn't wake up, but his embrace, gentle as it was, was difficult to escape.

An hour later, Padrig and I set off after walking to the harbor and I looked up at the living rooms above the Cafe, where it was still dark, when Padrig said that Charlie would definitely enjoy being able to sleep for a while longer.

Padrig left the helm to me and we sailed far out to sea before I decided on a spot where we would cast the nets. Our only topic was fishing and he told me stories from his time on the high seas. I always loved hearing stories like this as a child. The sea had always been a passion that no one in my family shared, but in Al and the fishermen I had found a second family with whom I had always felt at home.

The bell of the trawls rang and we reeled them in, began unloading the fish into the hold and using our hands to free the remaining ones that were caught.

"Why are you playing this game?" Padrig asked me and I looked up at him confused.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, playing Samuel's girlfriend." He continued to work calmly as he said this and I envied his calmness while the thoughts in my head seemed to be going crazy.

"You knew?" was all I could say and he just shrugged his shoulders.

"It was obvious the first night that something was wrong with you. You didn't kiss or hold hands. When Samuel put his arm around you, he hesitated. He's shy, but if you would habe been really a couple, then he wouldn't have lacked of feeling safe so much. It wasn't just the usual inhibitions that you have in front of your parents."

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"And ruin all our fun?" He looked up at me briefly and winked at me with a smile, which made me smile involuntarily. "What Jenni told you was true. Samuel really raved about you nonstop when she asked him about you, and it was also very obvious that you liked him too. That's why we took part in the game and had a bit of fun too." He laughed quietly and I realized what he meant.

"The disturbance in the bedroom, Jenni forcing us to shower together, all the insinuations... you did that specifically to make fun of us?"

"Where do you think Samuel gets his humor from?" he replied with a grin. "It was just too good." He laughed so loudly that I couldn't help but join in, thinking of Sam, who had been so nervous every time. "Besides, we thought that maybe your act would finally get you together."

"Which it actually did. Thanks Padrig," I replied with a smile and began to put the net back together neatly.

"You can see what parents are good for even now," he replied with a wink. "Jenni would say something like that it's your destiny to be together or that you're meant to be together, but at least she's right about that you belong together and you make Samuel very happy. I've never seen his eyes light up as much as when he looks at you. Besides, you're really okay."

"Just like you." The net was finished folding and I was putting it to the side before checking a lobster trap when I remembered that I still owed him an answer. "I suggested it to Sam to play his girlfriend. He didn't ask me to. He wanted to tell you the truth."

"Why?" Padrig now looked up at me with a look that showed that he was surprised. "Sam suffers a lot because you are so unhappy because he didn't become a fisherman and even more because you showed him how less you are thought of him being alone."