Annie

Annie ran away again the other night. It took me hours to find her in the park, going back and forth on the swings without a care in the world, like she had every right to be there. And she dyed her hair again, blonde this time. I didn't want to make a fuss with all those people around, so I caught her on the backswing and dragged her home kicking and screaming like a lunatic. It was humiliating: I had to smile and shrug at all the people staring like it didn't bother me.

As soon as we were home, I sent Annie to her room. She just sat there on the bed, crying and crying. The way she carried on, I didn't have the heart to yell at her for running away. I guess that's the real problem, this lack of discipline. I've never been good at tough but fair. I'm always going too far one way or the other.

Like a few months ago when she came at me with the kitchen knife. For a minute I really thought she was trying to hurt me, my own sweet angel. But afterward she just lay there in my arms so quiet, letting me stroke her hair and sing her a lullaby, like nothing had ever happened.

But then there was that other time when she started messing around with my doll collection. They're such fragile things, my dolls, and Annie was playing so rough like she wanted to break them. I love those dolls: they remind me of when everything was easier, when I wasn't stuck in this house all day long with Annie's tantrums and Bill's moping. I got upset, and I hit her. I was so ashamed, when she ran away that night I didn't go after her right away. I just stayed there, crying and feeling like the worst mother in the world.

I tried to be gentler after that, more understanding. So instead of getting cross with Annie, I let her stay in her room and cooked her some dinner. I turned up the TV real loud so I wouldn't hear the racket she was making in there. She makes such a mess sometimes, and it makes me so angry, the way she breaks her things like she doesn't even care about them anymore. I bought her a puppy once, but she wouldn't even touch it, like she was scared of it. The very day I decided to take it back to the pet store, it vanished. I found Annie in the backyard, holding a little trowel, sitting on a pile of dirt. I helped her wash up and never mentioned it again.

I made her favorite food, macaroni and cheese, hoping it might calm her down. But as soon as I opened the door she slammed into me, trying to get past. I almost dropped the food everywhere wrestling with her like that. She had this wild look in her eyes, like an animal. It scared me, being alone in there with her when she was like that. I put the food on her desk and gently pushed her toward the chair.

"I made it just the way you like," I told her, smiling and trying not to look as afraid as I felt.

She stared at me like she didn't understand a word I was saying.

"Will you eat some of it?"

"I don't want to," she said. Her voice sounded strange, different than I'd ever heard it before. I hope I didn't shudder. I didn't want to upset her.

"Please, Annie, I'm very worried about you."

"That's not my name."

She likes to change her name sometimes. It worries me. One day she's Beth, the next day Irene. It's just like her hair, she changes it every time she runs away. I get so scared that one day I won't be able to find her, and the police won't be able to help because I won't know what she looks like or what she's calling herself.

"Sweetheart, I'd really like you to eat a little bit. Just a little, please, for mommy."

And then she said, with the meanest look on her face, "You're not my mommy."

It hurt so much. It felt like a stab to my heart. Tears welled up in my eyes before I could stop them, so I turned away. I heard her scramble onto the bed, her fingernails scratching like little claws on the posts. When I looked back, she had her back pressed against the corner of the room, legs drawn up to her chest, rocking back and forth. Staring at me with those wild animal eyes.