Chapter 1

"We don't serve Death Eater scum in here!" spat the shopkeeper, slamming the door. Harry turned at the sound and his heart compressed strangely.

Draco Malfoy stepped neatly away from the slammed door, a small boy clutching his hand.

"I'm sorry, darling," said Malfoy to the boy.

"I don't mind," said the boy, a little too quickly. Malfoy drew him into a hug.

"What did I do to deserve you?" he asked.

Harry couldn't tear his eyes away.

Draco Malfoy had always been handsome, but Harry had forgotten how forceful his good looks were, like being hit over the head with aestheticism. Malfoy made everything look easy, even being insulted. His icy blond hair was in waves around his ears. He wore old robes, yet they somehow made him seem more fashionable and put together than all the expensive clothes Harry owned could have done.

The little boy was delicate and blond, as well. He closed his eyes when Malfoy hugged him. He didn't away, although he looked about the age when children start resisting their parents' affection. If anything, he tried to pull Malfoy closer.

"You'd better go in to Ollivander's by yourself, darling," said Malfoy.

"Oh," said the boy, sounding disappointed.

"I'm sorry." said Malfoy.

"No, no, it's fine."

"Little liar. Here, take some gold. And after, we'll see if we can get some ice cream."

"From Florian's?"

"If he'll sell it to us, darling. But if not, we'll find somewhere, I promise."

"All right," said the boy, squaring his shoulders, and marching into Ollivander's by himself. Malfoy's hands twitched at his sides, and he seemed to force himself not to follow. He leant back. against the storefront to wait.

"Malfoy," Harry.

Malfoy's head jerked up..

"Potter." he said. He was cold and impenetrable, where before he had been elastic with emotion.

"How are you?" asked Harry.

"Well, thank you. And yourself?"

Harry frowned. He didn't quite know how to respond to a polite Malfoy, In fact, he wasn't even sure why he had approached him. Malfoy seemed to be wondering the same thing.

"Is that your son?" asked Harry. Malfoy glanced into the shop window, but the stacks of wands prevented them from seeing inside. Harry knew it was a meaningful moment, when children found their wands. The sort of thing parents photographed and put in albums. He caught the quick, pained expression that flashed across Malfoy's face.

"Yes," said Malfoy. "Scorpius. He's starting at Hogwarts in September."

"Christ, you had him young."

Malfoy laughed.

"Seventeen. It wasn't exactly planned."

"He's cute."

Malfoy looked rather dreamy.

"He's all his mother, fortunately."

His mother. Malfoy's wife. He had one, didn't he Harry remembered someone mentioning it. Well, that makes things easier, thought Harry, before immediately asking himself why it should matter to him one way or another if Malfoy was married,

The door opened and Scorpius burst out.

"Dad! Dad! Look!" He brandished his wand, "Hawthorne and phoenix feather!" "That's brilliant, darling! And so fast!"