| CHAPTER ONE | Generational Hate

| CHAPTER ONE; Generational Hate |
—————————————————

The 1900'sBIRMINGHAM, ENGLAND—"Instead of treating your child like how you were treated

The 1900's
BIRMINGHAM, ENGLAND

"Instead of treating your child like how you were treated. Treat them with the same love and attention you wanted from your parents while growing up."

—Jonathan Anthony Burkett

MARZANA SHELBY WAS BEAUTIFUL, she was born with the most ethereal eyes known to man, the same eyes of her young father, Thomas Shelby. Whom was only fifteen when his daughter was born in April of the year 1905. The extremely smiley teenage boy loved his daughter at first sight, ecstatic upon seeing that his daughter had inherited many of his traits. His dark hair, porcelain pale skin, but especially his blue, glass-like eyes that looked as if they had been taken from a glass baby doll and put into his baby girl.

He loved her so much, just as he loved the mother of his child, Ann Lee Cunningham. The woman with the voice and personality of an Angel, his first love, puppy love. Marzana had her mother's angelic personality and facial structure. She then was born with her grandfather's nose, Arthur Shelby Sr.

For three years, Thomas and Ann Lee raised their baby girl happily, until Ann Lee fell sick with Malaria, dying quickly due to her poor family's lack of wealth and care. Thomas grew angry, the mother of his child had died, his one love had died. And now, he was stuck with the curse of having her child in his life. By 1908, the year of Ann Lee's death, Thomas raised his daughter in a quite hostile and violent manner. When bathing her, he was rough with her, along with when he cleaned her after the baby had an accident, he'd practically yank her body around in order to finish his duty as quickly as possible.

In 1910, Tommy was twenty years old and his daughter was five years old. He had been caught in his bedroom, throwing his child roughly onto the wooden floor because he was having trouble getting her into her socks. His Aunt Polly had entered his room just as he threw his child onto the floor. Resulting in her shouting at him, in which Tommy replied by leaving the house to cool down.

Tommy hadn't noticed that he was becoming his father, his father had done the same to him and his siblings when Thomas was younger. But everyone else noticed, everyone but grumpy old Tommy.

In 1914, Thomas Shelby was going off to war with his two brothers. Polly had forced the twenty-four-year-old to say goodbye to his nine-year-old daughter. "I'm off to war, don't know when or if I'll be back." Was all Tommy told the child sitting at the dining table.

Marzana jumped up, her long hair that had been put into a braid, swinging as she ran toward her beloved father. "I made a drawing, you, me, Mommy, Art, Johnny, and Ada!" This angered Tommy greatly. Marzana called Polly 'Mommy' almost every day, no matter how much she was corrected. Along with that, she couldn't could never pronounce Arthur's name and continuously called John 'Johnny.'

Tommy only rolled his eyes, Arthur, mumbling, "Take the fuckin' photo." The man having a soft spot for the little Shelby girl in front of him. Tommy reluctantly listened and yanked the photo from her tiny hands, crumpling it up and shoving it into his pocket.

Marzana almost frowned at this but decided to move on. "Goodbye, Daddy." She smiled softly, lunging forward to hug her father. But Tommy did not even lay a hand on her, pulling her off and turning around to exit the house. John frowned and said his goodbyes before following after his older brother.

But Arthur stayed behind, "We'll be back soon, make me a drawing for when I come back. Alright?" Arthur nodded questioningly as he kneeled in front of his niece. Marzana nodded quickly before Arthur stood up and ruffled her hair. "Bye, Pol."

In 1917, Polly had acted on one of her worst nightmares. Sending Marzana off to St. Agnes' all-girls Catholic boarding school. Polly knew that Birmingham was not a place for little girls with their father and uncles in the war. Polly knew she could take care of a little boy, but not a girl just beginning puberty.

Polly believed that Marzana deserved to have the chance to be a respectable and elegant lady. Polly knew that Marzana deserved better than being forced to be dirty and hungry every day. So, she explained it all to Marzana and sent her away. Much to Marzana's dismay. But Polly promised her that the Shelbys would one day become a thriving and extremely respected family in England. She promised that once they achieved that title, Polly would take Marzana out of the school and bring her home back to her family.

By 1921, Marzana was sixteen years old and the perfect young lady. Marzana was still as beautiful as ever. She walked as if she was floating on air, her voice sounding like silk on silk, her mannerisms as perfect as a princess. St. Agnes' all-girls school had shaped Marzana into the exact lady that Polly had wanted the young girl to be.

Marzana grew to be very confident, loyal, honorable, courteous, and extremely intelligent. Marzana was G the top of her class and had been granted the pleasure of being on the honor roll. No one could outsmart Marzana, she was the epitome of clever. But all this achievement did not come without extreme criticism and punishment.

When Marzana would make a mistake, she'd be embarrassed in front of the class and then paddled into the headmaster's room. If Marzana pronounced a word incorrectly or acted 'unladylike' she'd be forced to recite a different verse of the Bible.

But despite her numerous punishments from the male headmaster, Marzana adored the nuns. Especially, Sister Josephine, Sister Josephine had been beside Marzana ever since her arrival at the boarding school. She would sit next to her during daily mass and taught her how to properly pray to Jesus Christ.

Sister Josephine taught Marzana great things, things that her kin had neglected to teach her. She taught her to be understanding of others, even if they judged Marzana for her religion. She taught her that everyone was a sinner, she taught her that no one was perfect except for their Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. She taught her that as a result of that, everyone had their own sins, and every sin was forgivable. Except for one. Teaching her that she was no better than the average man of hatred. Everyone was equal in Sister Josephine's eyes, which Marzana understood perfectly.

Marzana told Sister Josephine about her personal life. Telling her about her Beloved father, telling her about the tragedy of her mother, telling her about everything. Causing the old nun to have a special place in her heart for the young Shelby girl. When Marzana was taken out of the Catholic school at sixteen years old, not having a chance to say goodbye to Sister Josephine, she stayed in the old woman's prayers every morning, night, and during every mass prayer.

So, now, as Marzana rides in the passenger seat of her Aunt Polly's new car, all she can think about is her father. "Is he just as I remember?" She'd ask Polly. "Does he remember me?" She'd wonder. "Is he excited to see me?" She'd excitedly ask. "Will he be proud of me?" She'd hopefully inquire. Polly lost count of the amount of questions asked in the span of two minutes.

All Polly managed to say to the girl was, "He will definitely notice how beautifully you've grown." This was all Marzana needed to hear, hopeful that her father would finally be proud of her and accept her as his daughter.

Oh, how wrong she was...

——————————————————————

| 1 |