Young Professionals

~Christina~

Christina sat on one of the four table stools that stood next to the kitchen counter. She could hear the clicking of heels coming down the long hallway. She knew that it was her mother getting ready to leave. Just as she predicted, her mother came in wearing another one of her business suits.
"Hi, honey." Her mother smiled while grabbing an apple out of the blue bowl that sat in the middle of the counter.
"You're working again?" Christina hesitated to ask. She saw Jen's face drop.
"Uh, yeah" Jen's voice was quiet.
"But it's Saturday."
"I know, but my boss really needs me to be there today." Jen looked into her daughter's eyes with an apologetic look on her face.
"Why don't you come with me today?"
"Why would I want to be around a bunch of computer nerds?"
"C'mon, maybe you'll like it." Jen raised her eyebrows waiting for an answer. There was long pause, where they just stared at each other before Christina spoke.
"Fine" Christina agreed though she was slightly unsure. It was only eight in the morning so she didn't know how she was going to survive with computer nerds until five in the afternoon... at least.
~
Christina sat in her mother's office chair as Jen walked around her office looking for a misplace paper. Her feet were propped up on the desk before her.
"Hey, do you think you could make a copy of this while I look for that list?" Jen handed Christina a single sheet of paper. Christina didn't bother to look at what it said. Instead, she nodded and walked out of the office. She had no clue how to get to the copy machine but she figured that she would find it eventually.
She walked down the quiet hallways looking into everyone's offices and cubicles. She hated the grey carpets that made the buildings look boring and dull. If she were the owner she would bring some color and fun into this place. Every time she passed by someone, she wondered why they looked so down. She thought that maybe they felt trapped in a place like this. She knew that she would.
She had always promised herself that she would never have an office job. She knew that she was way too creative of a person to take orders from people. Especially if she had a boss that always made her work late, like her mother's.
Christina stopped in her tracks when someone appeared in front of her. She had to look up to see his face, but when she did it made her smile. He had a warm smile on his face and a kind look in his dark, almost black eyes. The fact that they were large and shined, made it easy for her to get lost in them. He was younger than everyone else that she saw that day, and definitely better looking. He wore a white button down shirt and a plain black tie. His sleeves were pushed up to his elbows and his hands were placed in the pockets of his plain black pants. His hair was dark, curly and free and one of his eyebrows was raised.
"You look pretty lost." Christina shook her head and snapped out of her thoughts when she heard a deep and calm voice talking to her. It was him.
"I-I'm looking for the copy room." Christina spoke as she felt butterflies in her stomach. His smile didn't fade. He pointed to a room at the end of the hallway without taking his deep eyes off of her. She wanted him to stop looking at her, only because she was shy and blushing really hard. She forced word out of her mouth.
"Um, thanks." She looked down while her words came out soft and almost as a whisper. She suddenly felt warm fingers lift up her head from her chin. The man smiled at her and put his hands back in his pockets.
"ALWAYS keep your head up." The man's tone was serious but he was still smiling. Christina slightly nodded and walked around him and started to make her way down the hall. She finally realized something that would stop her.
"Oh, one more thing" she turned around to see the man looking at her.
"What's up?" He still had a young feeling to him.
"How do you use a copy machine?" Christina bit her bottom lip and raised her eyebrows. The man shook his head and started to walk toward her.