Chapter 7

He came back. We looked at him confused.

"I had to grab something, but it's not important!" he said. "Okay?" I thought to myself. We drove off.

During the drive, Lionell's phone rang a lot, but he ignored it. Why didn't he just put it on silent then? Mira, Jonas, and I were equally puzzled.

"Lio? Everything okay?" I asked cautiously. "Yeah, sure, what could be wrong?" he replied. "I don't know; you're acting strange..." I said. "Oh, it's just work-related, but not here and not today!" he replied, annoyed.

We arrived at the cinema, joining Vera, Levi, and my parents who had taken the other car.

Everyone had already bought some snacks, except Lionell and Jonas, as Lionell had answered his phone, and Jonas was in the restroom. "We'll go ahead, okay?" I said to Jonas, who was ordering popcorn. He nodded.

We took our seats. Levi was on my left, Mira on my right. Next to Levi were Vera, Dad, and then my mother. The two empty seats next to Mira were for Lionell and Jonas.

The eternal commercials began, and as always, the popcorn felt empty before the actual movie started. Lionell and Jonas arrived. Finally. I wonder how they could take almost fifteen minutes to buy popcorn.

The movie ended, and it was so damn sad that I shed a few tears. But you know how it is, in those moments, you look at your best friends and just burst into laughter. My parents didn't find it funny, but they are party poopers. At least my mother.

ANYWAY. Now, we're going shopping. I loved shopping. Since everyone wanted to go to different stores, we split up. My parents went together, Vera and Levi, Jonas and Lionell, and finally, Mira and I.

Mira and I headed out. We wanted to check out a jeweler first.

"Hey, Alex?" Mira asked softly. "Mhm?" I mumbled. "I overheard your conversation with your mother earlier. I feel really sorry for you. You should dress the way you want and feel comfortable," she said. I was somewhat shocked as this came out of nowhere. I thought only Lionell had noticed?

"Mhm, that's just my mom. She always nags about my hair and everything. I always tie it in a bun because I hate long hair!" I told her.

"Then why not cut it?" she suggested. What could I reply to that? Honestly, I'd love to have really short hair. Not a buzz cut, more like a wolf cut. If not even shorter...