IX

Maybe it was in your head that Hailee had gotten a little distant lately, or maybe it was something you did or said. You couldn't figure it out but it was a constant thought in your head. Every time she'd come over for tutoring, you'd try and make small talk but she'd always shut it down and focus on studying. She'd leave earlier than normal and stopped talking to you during school.

It was bullshit. At first you were hurt, but now you're pissed. That's why you approached the brunette at lunch. She stood by herself against one of the walls behind the school. A cigarette in her hands as she leaned her head back against the brick wall.

You sighed under your breath as your gaze on her hardened. "Hey." You greeted her coldly, the tone and your random appearance had her jumping. "Why are you avoiding me?"

"I'm not." She responded distantly, rolling her eyes discreetly while you scoffed.

"Bullshit. You're a fucking liar." You growled at her, shoving your finger against her chest accusingly. "Nothing to say?" Hailee remained silent, staring at the ground while you scoffed again. "You're a piece of shit, you know that?"

That was all you said before you began to storm away. Hailee stared at the back of your head, her heart filled with regret and guilt as she watched you leave.

—————

It was already 4:30 in the afternoon, you kept checking the time. Not once this entire evening has Hailee tried coming by. You had your textbooks and everything out. You waited and waited and waited. But she never showed.

You were about to get on your phone, scroll through her friends stories and posts to see if you can find anything but you restrained yourself. Why should you do that? She meant nothing to you. She was just the girl you were tutoring.

But you were mostly hurt that you were starting to become friends with someone who just ended up ditching you. Maybe Josh was right. Hailee is nothing but bad news.

You still didn't want to believe it, though.

—————

Hailee picked at the food on her plate, her eyes glued to the table as she listened to her parents talk. "So, kids, anything happen at school today?" Griffin was in college, and doing quite well actually. Hailee, on the other hand, was the disappointment child. Or that's what she thought. Her parents were quite proud of her in different ways but she always believed that she was a failure.

"Not much, actually." Griffin mumbled with his chicken drumstick in his mouth. "We are actually preparing to change tires soon. And then have a competition to see who can do it faster."

"And Hailee?" Her father, Pete, turned to her in curiosity and interest.

"Oh." Hailee began with a sigh. "It was fine, nothing happened." Her parents shared a look, Griffin picking up on his sister's tone. They all knew something was wrong.

"Honey, what's wrong?" Cheri, her mom, asked gently, her hand reaching out for her daughter's. "You can talk to us."

To be honest, Hailee didn't want to talk, she'd much rather bottle her feelings up but this was a different feeling she couldn't quite close away. She needed to let it out.

"There's this girl." Hailee slowly set her fork down, her gaze hesitantly leaving her place to face her parents and brother. "She's super smart, funny, sarcastic, strong, pretty and so much more. She's actually the one who's tutoring me." She clarified as her family nodded in realization. "Anyway. Her mom said something to me before I left one time, and it really got in my head. It got my thinking, like, what if I'm not good enough for her? Not just as a possible girlfriend, but as a friend. What if I disappoint her or make her mad or hurt her unintentionally?"

As Hailee rambled about her feelings, Griffin carefully stood from his chair, walking to his sister and resting his hands on her shoulders. "Hailee, you're never not enough for someone."

Hailee shook her head. "Not true. I-I'm an addict, an alcoholic, and a jerk." She muttered as she sipped her iced tea. Pete leaned over the table, grabbing Hailee's hand.

"Sweetie, that shouldn't stop you from being your true self. Those are all just problems you have, you can overcome it. And it seems like this girl doesn't seem to mind it. As long as you don't push her away, I still think you've got a chance with her, okay?" His words hit Hailee deep in the heart. She reconsidered everything her family had spoke to her about. She knew what she had to do.

And who she had to talk to.