are you complementing me, or insulting me?

well, that's backhanded.
"her music is trash but she's so pretty !!! :)" damn, can y'all guess who that would be about? the list is endless. social media's tendency to give backhanded compliments to female artists has been seemingly getting worse lately, shown in the rise of popular female singers and rappers like Ice Spice, Taylor Swift, Nicki Minaj and hell of a lot more big names in music. this is really only caused by one thing and that thing is sexism, right?

"her songs are super repetitive but she's so nice!" just say she's nice. backhanded compliments seriously irk me, you are insulting her and complimenting her at the same time!

we can't talk about this topic without mentioning the tendency to push someone up while dragging down others, specifically women. ridiculing a women for wearing unnatural makeup whilst pushing up another woman for having "a natural look" whilst shes wearing the same amount of makeup is a trend i see OFTEN. How about, idk, recognising both women for their accomplishments opposed to their looks? on the other side, shaming women for wanting to look good whilst also shaming women who don't pay attention to their appearance is RAMPANT online.

THIS is why the barbie movie made!